Epic lenght lock system

More
12 years 8 months ago #7449 by Hiro
Epic lenght lock system was created by Hiro
I own 2 Epic paddles. Both have adjustable shaft length. One has the new lever lock system :) but the other has the older twist lock :angry: .

Has anyone tried to retrofit an older paddle with the new lenght lock system ? Where can one buy the ferrule ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7464 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
why not ask epic :woohoo:

More
12 years 8 months ago #7465 by Boof Head
www.epickayaks.com/tech/Length-Lock%202

Last paragraph of above link. Not avilable for retro fit at this stage unless old paddle is recieving warranty repair. Components will eventually beacome available

More
12 years 8 months ago #7466 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
Thanks, I was hoping someone might know something more than what epic says on that 2 years old article. Seems they're not in a hurry to make this leverlock available. Also, as I'm in the middle of Pacific, I won't send them my paddle for retrofit.
Maybe Epic don't make the lever lock system, but buy them from someone else. I've seen identical ferrules on ONNO paddles website, he's been using them from longer than Epic. i will ask him.
I just need an address I can buy the ferrule from. I need to know if there's an easy way to take away the old lock system without taking the risk to break my paddle.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7469 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
Chad Meek in Victoria Australia seems to offer the same system ? .
I would think there was 3 ways to remove the current plastic adjuster
1) gently heat it the plastic till the glue holding it to the carbon softens without affecting the resin the shaft is made from (most risky) and pull it off whilst hot
2)saw the plastic on either side down to the glue(without slicing into the carbon) and "lever" it off
3) cut the whole plastic bit off and accept it will then be 3ish cm shorter
You would be able to use the fibre "spigot" in the other side.
Attachments:

More
12 years 8 months ago #7474 by Hiro
Thanks latman. Your second method looks like the best way to do it.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7476 by Miller
Replied by Miller on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
Hi there,

the only problem you are facing here is that because it is an older version the ferrule will not come off, it is glued with epoxy. Replace the collar first and then use the same ferrule, just use the 0 degrees line on the old ferrule. the paddle length might change with a few mm as the old and new collar is not exactly the same size. Make a mark on your shaft next to your collar where the zero line is, this will help you when you put the new LL on so that you can find your zero degree mark. use a tube that fits into the collar, push the tube right through the collar so that when you put it into the shaft it keeps the collar from dipping to one side,remember to put release agent on the tube! if you need any help regarding the removal of the collar i will gladly help you step by step, cheers!

More
12 years 8 months ago #7477 by Hiro
Thanks Miller, I think I used the wrong word. I wrot "ferrule" but what I meant is what you called "collar".
Now I just need to find a lever lock dealer. B)

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7482 by Hiro
I had info from Pat (ONNO Paddles) : his lever lock system won't fit an Epic paddle since they use different shaft diameter. Have contacted Chad Meek and asked. Also contacted Bennett Surfboards . And I sent an email to Epic, altough their web site says they don't sell it, maybe if i ask Kindly B) ...
I am waiting for their answers now.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Hiro.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7491 by Rightarmbad
Collar and lever available from here

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7492 by Hiro
Thanks, sent an email and asked. Still waiting for answers.

Answer from Chad meek : "It is unlikely that the lever lock will fit your current paddle the shafts do vary in inside diameter." :(

Answer from Bennet : "It would be my pleasure to sell you a new Epic paddle." :unsure:

• davewilson
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7501 by davewilson
Replied by davewilson on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
After 2 yrs blade fell off my epic mid wing carbon paddle while paddling my V10, had to paddle back like a canuk canoe . The paddle had a heat sensitive glue holding it to the shaft. After wrangling Epic Au replaced the blade under warranty, also the length lock had failed and was slipping. Epic Au also replaced under warranty, Epic would not send the length lock assy to a local repairer ,as they believe it to be "special" so I sent my paddle to Sydney for warranty repair. The local epic rep lent me a paddle for the duration, nice bloke. Later while purchasing a Stellar SES ski !!!!!!!!!!!!!!- I had a look at the Stellar paddle. The Stellar paddle has a similiar lever lock arrangement - ask Stellar if the diameters are the same, The Epic paddle is a beautiful thing but as with the ski's they have been caught up,the lever lock is used by others and no longer" special" to epic, still however love the paddle.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7503 by AR_convert
Sorry but could you elaborate further, you eluded to but didnt answer whether the Stellar and Epic diameters were the same?... and do you mean by the lever locks not being special to Epic that others will fit them and if so which ones?

Always looking for the next boat :)

• davewilson
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7504 by davewilson
Replied by davewilson on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
Sorry you need to ask Stellar about the diameters, They look similar but I didnt measure.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7505 by AR_convert
Sorry Dave, I went off half cocked, I didn't read your post properly, I thought I read you asked Stellar when you bought a ski. I wonder if there were paddle moulds and parts also left behind in Epics previous Chinese factory ;)

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7506 by Hiro
Have asked... still waiting answers from Stellar and Epic.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7508 by Rightarmbad
On the subject of Epic paddles.
I'm quick to whinge when things go wrong, so I better restore a bit of balance.

Previously I spoke about how my length loc come adrift and I repaired it myself as well as the well known problem of the stainless parts going rusty.

Well, the newer Epic paddle I have shows no sign of rusting at all.
Maybe they did do some improvements.

Also the replacement metal part I fitted to my old paddle, even though it does show rusting, they made the thread long enough that it went completely through to the other side so it doesn't allow the inside to rust and stick.
So obviously there has been some running improvements.

The new blade shape with it's beefed up area near the shaft is also much quieter when the paddle goes into the water, it's just a better shape.

Son there's my Karma points restored.

Now if only I could us those Karma points to put a hex on the bastard surfer that did $1000 damage to my ski.......

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 8 months ago #7509 by Rightarmbad
The Epic length loc is a loose fit on the shaft.
There is about a mm space all around it.
This is filled with sort of flexible adhesive.
Not sure why it is done this way, as it performs much better epoxied on in my opinion.

So I don't see that a slightly different diameter would be a real problem.

I have tried to get steering cable adjusters from both Epic and Vajda, no luck after months of waiting.

I have also tried to get a new steering tiller as mine was bent when I broke a rudder and when I straightened it, the hex bolts thread was tweaked and I wanted one that wasn't compromised. Again, no luck.

It seems that small parts are just too much trouble, so let us know how you go.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7544 by Hiro
Bennett (www.bennettsurfboards.com/paddles/paddles.html) sent me a new answer : they don't sell the lever lock but they forwarded my request to Epic Kayak Australia (www.epickayaks.net.au/Epic_kayak_accessories.html) and guesswhat... They can sell and send me one ! Yeah !

Still no answer from Epic international nor stellar .

More
12 years 8 months ago #7545 by AR_convert

Hiro wrote: Still no answer from Epic international nor stellar .

Perhaps you should have sent the emails to Epic and Stellar international in Chinese :whistle:

Latest Forum Topics