Epic lenght lock system

More
12 years 7 months ago #7553 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Epic lenght lock system
Orderd the lever from Epic Australia today and...finaly received an answer from Epic international, they say that as these are precise components they have to use special jigs to calibrate the installation, with a special adhesive, and its possible my ferrule may not be compatible.
I'll let you know how it goes when I receive the lever lock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7558 by [email protected]
Bit late in the day to reply to this topic :unsure: but I have two Epic mid-wing paddles; one with the old-style length lock and one with an early release of the new lever lock.

The lever lock mechanism rusted up and eventually seized. Epic sent me a new one - entire collar mechanism - and I had it replaced. Then I had the old length lock replaced with a new one lever lock too. The old paddle's markings don't match - but that's ok I've marked it myself.

But I much prefer the lever lock - and since I had the new ones fitted, I've had no problems at all. Clearly the newer ones have a better grade of stainless in the fitting.

Just as a side note, I always rinse the paddles and lock mechanism after paddling...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 7 months ago #7561 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Epic lenght lock system
The Epic sold in Tahiti fited with the lever lock were the first ones with the crapy steel mechanism, but Epic contacted every buyer and sent them a new stainless steel part even before they started to rust... was a 5 minutes job to change that part and only needed a screwdriver.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10028 by Hiro
New lever lock, and old twist lock that needs to be taken away from shaft.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #10029 by Hiro
Boiling water helped to soften the glue.

Lock being separated from shaft with a blade.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #10030 by Hiro
voilà
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10031 by Hiro
The inner diameter of the lock is bigger than the shaft. Need to find a way to keep it aligned while the epoxy cures. Inserting the shaft of the other half paddle is okay but it might get glued :S so I wraped it with a layer of aluminium foil (doesn't stick to epoxy).

Works perfectly, paddler is happy !
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Hiro.

Latest Forum Topics