Garmin 305 and cadence

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #819 by Seaugi
Garmin 305 and cadence was created by Seaugi
I've been reading up on people trying (unsuccessfully) to measure cadence with their 305s. I'm a bit ignorant on the subject here, I still have yet to purchase one. Apologise if this has been covered, but couldn't find the answer.

I read that it works on a bicycle. I am assuming it works something similiar to a bike speedometer, magnet passing a reader. Then why would it not work if you put the 305 on your footstrap and the magnet on your paddle shaft. Your shaft should pass within range of the reader. A couple of inches at most.
The reader would give you a reading, you just double it to get your true(er) cadence.

What are the problems with this idea? The weight of a magnet would be negligent to all but the highest class paddlers. Down wind run rates wouldn't count, but you should be able to notice the different rates and discount them from your training. But it might work for sprint and flat water training. Has any one tried this?

Cheers

Sean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #820 by [email protected]
I tried putting the reader on the side of cockpit with an earth magnet on a band on my wrist. It didn't work very well.

On a bike the magnet passes within a couple of mm of the reader - on the the ski, its difficult to keep your wrist moving in the same area every stroke. The smallest wave tends to rock the boat slightly and your arm moves away from the reader. At least, that's what I've found.

If you do try, please feedback to us what you find!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #821 by stuartknaggs
I would have thought that the most consistant place for the reader would be forward of the cockpit, with the magnet on the back of the paddle blade. My paddle just grazes this part of my ski at least once every 20 or so strokes.

stuart

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #822 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: Garmin 305 and cadence
Rob, Xpat,

Thanks for the quick replies. (4am ???)

I'm still at the stage where success in a race means I didn't fall off too many times. Perhaps I'll put a 305 on my christmas list...

Another question though, There seems to be a substantial community that is willing to purchase a product if it is proven. We spend stupid amounts of money on our toys.

Have you thought about approaching Garmin and seeing about getting a model made for the water lovers. My waterproof panasonic razer (linear) recharges by simply sitting it on a base. There are no ports that allow in water to coorode it. Bluetooth technologies allow data transfer without ports. A stronger and larger magnet reader would facilitate measureing cadence.

Why is Garmin unable to do it? World wide there are a lot of sailors, canoeists, kayakers and skiiers. Your forum definately demonstrates how easily word about a good (or bad) product goes from one side of the globe to the other. Please ask them and see what they say.

Hell, you could even sell them from your site.*

Sean

* consider this idea copywrited, but you can use it so long as you pay me in beer if we ever meet.

More
16 years 8 months ago #823 by Jacques
Replied by Jacques on topic Re: Garmin 305 and cadence
I don?t own a 305, but I have a suggestion that will perhaps work. How about attaching the magnet on your leg, calve or foot. You should be able to pick up your cadence by your leg movement.

Jacques

More
16 years 8 months ago #824 by postal256
Jacques, you read my mind.

Latest Forum Topics