Paddle choice

More
17 years 2 months ago #84 by Martin
Paddle choice was created by Martin
I have been using the large (840cm2) Epic carbon blades and green oval shaft for a few years now. I found the mid sized Epic wing ( +-750cm2) a little too small and couldn't pull onto a downwind wave as effectively as the large blade. I must admit in a 40kmh headwind I struggle with the large blade, being lucky to average 10.5kmh. I sometimes wonder if a compromise is possible by using a wing paddle with a surface area of about 800cm2. Make no mistake I think the Epics are good, but would like to get some comments from other readers.

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #85 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Paddle choice
I think the thing to do is to choose a shaft that suits you and match your blades to the conditions, i.e. a large blade for downwinds and sprints and an average sized blade for the rest. That's if you can afford at least 3 paddles, because it's useful to have a spare. My spare is my rather old and beaten up Fenn paddle that i use foe rivers too.

More
17 years 2 months ago #86 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re: Paddle choice
Makes sence. I have a few epics of various sizes but have almost exclusively used the large one. When paddling in flat water, using the mid sized epic I found my cadence much higher, but speed remained roughly the same. I can't recall whether I was more stuffed with the faster rotation....probably was. There are a phenomenal number of different paddles around ( Lettman, Maxpaddles, Fenn etc), almost too many, hence making a decision, especially if you are new to paddling, difficult. I found a paper on the net which gave recommendations of paddle sizes ( in cm2) for the different paddlers out there,ranging from kiddies to old guys. Again it was only a guide.

I am interested in hearing what blade make and sizes are used by the readers and their comments about them.

Martin

More
17 years 2 months ago #87 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re: Paddle choice
Further to above it would be interesting to know what the elite guys are paddling with inclusive of the blade sizes, makes etc ( the Hank's, Clint's, Mocke's, Barry etc)

More
17 years 2 months ago #88 by Stan K
Replied by Stan K on topic Re: Paddle choice
Hey Martin

how about putting that website with the paddle sizes on the forum for us.

"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" -Nietsche

Latest Forum Topics