Seat bucket padding

More
12 years 5 months ago #8533 by Boof Head
I need to pack out the seat bucket in my ski. I have some closed cell foam ( camping mat) and was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a suitable adhesive.
Ideally, I am after someting in a spaycan, will allow removal of foam if need be and can removed from gelcoat with out too much effort when foam is removed.
Any products out there?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8534 by rubberDuck
Replied by rubberDuck on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
In a spraycan, not that I know of, but around here we use a product that goes by the name of Genkem Contact Adhesive. It is generally a yellowish brown colour.

I have found that the clear adhesives discolour the gelcoat. Also, I have tried the 3M spray-on adhesive and found that it does not provide enough holding power.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8537 by Kayaker Greg
Bostik SuperTak is what you want. Get the High Performance Aerosol Adhesive. Follow the directions if you want a permanent or a non-permant bond. Does not stain the Gel Coat, can clean up with turps. Use this in all my ski's and kayaks and have made seats and bracing pads for all of them. Cover the foam with a two way stretchable material cause the foam itself is quite grippy. Most materials only stretch one way so choose carefully at a woman's material supply shop. Use the same glue to attach the material to the foam before gluing into your ski.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8541 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
get some plywrap tape (link below) and lay down some strips, then use contact cement to glue the foam onto that. Or glue velcro on it and to the foam so you can use different thickness foam whenever you choose. When you sell your ski then you can pull off the tape.

pipewrap tape at homedepot

More
12 years 5 months ago #8545 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
There are 2 3M spray products i know of, the 77 will not be strong enough I think and the 90 is just like contact adhesive but not as brown.... I have nearly a whole spraycan you can try if you want .

you can remove any contact style adhesive with time/effort IMO

also there is no such thing as HomeDepot in Australia.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8546 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic Re: Seat bucket padding

latman wrote: also there is no such thing as HomeDepot in Australia.

Well then you can print out the clear foto I linked and ask your local builder supply if they have some. Or ask your local sprint club where they get it.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8547 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
I think i saw that stuff in Hawaii stuck on the sides of skis where they hit with the paddle, but I have never seen it in Australia.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8555 by DaveC
Replied by DaveC on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
I often use double sided sellotape. You need to buff the foam with a wire/brass brush to give better tape adhesion. The tape normally lasts several months even with water sloshing around in the seat well. It's easy to replace and padding can be removed easily as well. Any residual glue from the tape on the seat can be removed with a bit of acetone.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8575 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
Thanks All. some good info and my research into the topic lead me to some good info on actual placement location of padding as well.
The pipewrap appears to be ordinary pvc tape. i have some of that. I use 100mph tape(cloth reinforced) at the catch so that might do the trick also. I like the idea of taped pads for trialling different positions/shapes.
I might do a ring around for the bostic stuff mentioned by KG. bunnings( our version of Homedepot) might have some but I doubt it.
Lats, thanks for offer to use your spray but I don't think that I will be down the Goldie for awhile although I believe my paddling buddy has contacted you regarding a decent rudder foil for his Fenn. If he twists my arm I'm always up for a trip down there.
I have a can of contact adhesive at work that I/ we use to fix shoes. i'm a high school teacher and nobody wants to buy new shoes at this time of year. it getsva bit messy hence my preference for a spray adhesive
Cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8577 by Kayaker Greg
Boofhead we have Bunnings here in NZ and I'm sure they would have it, we have another hardware chain called Mitre 10 and they do and so does Para Rubber.
I tend to just tape the padding in place until I'm sure I'm comfortable and finished modifying it before glueing in place, but you can actually just glue one side and let it dry for several minutes before fitting and then its easy to remove, once you want a permanent fit you can glue both sides.

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow of the seat and padding I have done in my ski.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8582 by Kayaker Greg
Not sure why I can't add photos to this site as I was able to a few days ago in the PFD thread, anyway here is a link to my Facebook page, sorry if anyone can't view these.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.172096...0002425151844&type=3

The seat pad is raised through the centre like a bicycle seat to spread the load, the pad is made of two times 10mm layers laminated together and relieved on the bottom layer for the sit bones. The bottom layer is about 40mm smaller than the top layer so that the leading edge is only 10mm thick. The material provides ample slippage for movement. In reality this has not lifted me any higher than 5mm creating stability issues, its just relieved the pressure from the sit bones, lower spine and hip area.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8583 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Seat bucket padding
Looks good

Latest Forum Topics