Ergometer - Paddlelite Pro

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10598 by haz001
Hi All,

I have just started to get serious about training, fitness etc.. Coming into winter I am starting to think about winter training options. I have come across a product new to the Australian market called the Paddlelite Pro. www.paddlelite.com.au

Anyone had a look at this product before and general thoughts about indoor trainers?

Haz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10599 by Kayaker Greg
First of all are you a paddler? I can't think of anything worse than sitting on one of these things for an hour compared to getting out on the water. And your in Australia? And you can't get out all year around? Wouldn't waste my money. There you go, thats my thoughts on indoor trainers.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10601 by Kiwibruce
If you are going to buy an erg buy a good one, Paddle lite - get the heavy duty one ,as far as ther ad , meditating while on it! I don't think so, some goose of a marketer has dreamt that up.
It's real hard work paddling on an erg , mind numbing ,in fact the only way I can do it is to have a tele in front with a good series on (currently watching "Spooks")
How much is it?
KayakerGreg , not all of us are office workers who don't start work till 9 and have flexitime so even in Sydney getting out for a paddle in winter mid week can be a challenge.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #10618 by DougMar
Greg: no need for bashing, ok? Good thing everyone is not like you. I've often thought an erg would be a nice addition to my workout room. Even though I live ON the water (ok, less than 40 ft from a large, deep, residential canal leading out to the Albemarle Sound, then the Atlantic; OBX, NC), there are times that an erg would be handy to get a quick sprint session in-between responsibilities. So Greg, next time offer some helpful info rather than the kind of rhetoric that you just gave. And if I might add, that “BS” comment in the 68.8 km/hr thread was not of a class act like you, either.

Haz: Speedstroke seems to be one of the better ones on the market. It also appears as though the length between the paddler and the line outlet guides is longer than the Paddlelite, enabling a more realistic pull angle. I could be wrong, though. The Paddlelite appears to be shorter overall, enabling it to fit into a smaller space.

Also, on the Paddlite, the turning blocks for the lines appear as though the line could jump out if the line went slack as in a very hard, high cadence sprint situation. The turning blocks will eventually add increased drag to the line, possibly allowing the line to go slack more often. The Speedstroke, on the other hand, has completely captured lines and less line drag.
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by DougMar.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10620 by Kayaker Greg
No bashing, just my opinion, genuine questions, its his first post, is he a paddler? Or someone looking for an indoor option for keeping fit? Or is he marketing these?

Having been a competitive cyclist I know how mind numbing sitting on indoor trainers can be. Would rather go riding in the rain than sit on one of those things, an erg also takes all the enjoyment out of paddling. Just my opinion, you have yours, don't bash me for mine. That's what forums are about, and he asked for our thoughts on using the indoor trainers.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10624 by haz001
Hi All,

thanks for the suggestions. Firstly I am a paddler and as I said I am just getting into the sport and I thought joining a forum might be helpful to bounce ideas of other people that are more experienced than me. I didn't think my status as a paddler would be questioned!

I live in Canberra so in winter the days are shorter and it can be hard to fit in a paddle around other responsibilities. I just thought it would be a good way to mix up my training.

I am still waiting to here back on the RRP of the paddlelite.

thanks,
Haz.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10626 by Kayaker Greg

haz001 wrote: Hi All,

I have just started to get serious about training, fitness etc.. Coming into winter I am starting to think about winter training options. I have come across a product new to the Australian market called the Paddlelite Pro. www.paddlelite.com.au

Anyone had a look at this product before and general thoughts about indoor trainers?

Haz.

To be fair, in your first post you did not say that you were a paddler or that you were just getting into the sport, you said that you were getting serious about training, fitness etc, that's why my question was relevant. No need to take offence, I was just trying to clarify your position as its obviously different to someone that is just looking for an indoor training option.

So if you are looking for people that are more experienced than you, you have come to the right place.

Myself, I live in balmy Auckland and being surrounded in water there are few days that I cannot get on the water if I want too. The days I can't get out I would rather do something else for fitness than sit on an ergo. Top racers may well feel different. Seeing as you are neither a top racer or live in Auckland, you need to decide if you want spend the money and to sit on an ergo through the winter, but I can tell you, its not my idea of a fun way to get fit.

Just my opinion, everyone has a different situation.

Latest Forum Topics