Beware the Big O - Oscar aims for 13th Molokai

• GSPT
  • Level 2 Personal Trainer and surf coach
More
11 years 1 month ago #15803 by GSPT
This week I had the pleasure of catching up with Oscar Chalupsky, whom I hadn't seen for 25 years, when I was paddling the S.African marathons.

I met Oscar at one of his coaching clinics. This one, at Hillarys Boat Harbour (Perth) attracted 10 paddlers, mostly of novice ability.

Apart from being arguably the world's greatest ocean paddler (all respect to others, including Tony Scott) Oscar is a brilliant coach. I say that because just being a great paddler doesn't translate into being a great coach.

I stayed for two hours of the course and was enthralled by the analogies Ocsar used, and the land techniques he runs through (90 minutes) before they hit the water. Even then, he also has some techniques taught in waist-depth water.

Oscar looks extremely fit, because he's aiming for his 13th Molokai title this year at the age of 50.

"People think I'm pretty laid back and I drink a bit, which I do, but I train pretty hard," he said.

I also enjoyed the company of one of Oscar's brothers, Walter, who has lived in Perth for nine years. He's still learning ... from Oscar, of course.

Greg Smith
Level 2 PT and surf coach
Paddling Technician
S.Africa marathon 79, 81, 83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics