UK - Surfski or K1

• sAsLEX
  • Elite Member
  • Fenn Swordfish, Kirton Typhoon K1
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16753 by sAsLEX
UK - Surfski or K1 was created by sAsLEX
Heading to the UK for Uni for a year soon and not really wanting to ship my ski with me.

Two questions:

As I will be based near Swindon (rivers not sea) I was thinking about getting a K1 to stay on the water and these seem more common over there. I currently paddle a Swordfish and am quite happy in that in any conditions after starting this as my first ski late last year. What stability rating, and or model of K1 could I aim for? (90kg-ish weight will limit selection somewhat)

Will training on a K1 be detrimental to coming back to the ski?
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by sAsLEX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16759 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
I paddled a K1 in my local river with shipping lanes, eddies, knee-high short-period wind chop, as well as perfectly calm conditions. When I returned to my surfski, I was twice the paddler I was before mastering the K1. I was paddling an old Clever X and my ski was an Epic V10L in performance lay-up.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by foundwood.

• Treeman
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16761 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
I paddle in similar conditions to foundwood, mostly rivers tho.
Have been paddling skis for about 4yrs,various conditions downwinders when ever possible.
Also started paddling an old Cleaver X about 12 months ago ( 90kgs at time)have recently moved on to a Vadja Supersonic XL.( am now 85kgs)
It has done wonders for my stroke technique and is a great addition to general paddling fitness ( core fitness esp!) and experience. It obviously does nothing for your ability to read the ocean but will aid your stability when you get back on the ski, No question.
The Cleaver X is a cheap starting point and they are quite stable and fast. The Supersonic has slightly less primary stability but tracks dead straight which is a weak point of the Cleaver. I'm sure there will be plenty of different options in the UK.
Can't beat a Good downwinder on the ski tho!!

More
10 years 11 months ago #16762 by NaClH2Oaddict
I am looking at a similar stay in the UK due to my wife's uni study. It appears more people ocean paddle in the the UK than many people think. Also, the availability of surfskis is better than you may believe. Some web sites for you to look at are globalsurfski.com and ultimatekayaks.co.uk (for details on craft and the GB ocean series). Other manufacturers sites include iconsurfcraft.com and greensticksurf.co.uk. I hope that's a help and also hope that temporarily directing you away from the world's best surfski site (surfski.info) does not offend anyone.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16767 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
Hi all
There are plenty of Kayak clubs around the UK where you could easily pick up a boat. Our groups of ocean ski paddlers are mainly based in cornwall , Devon and Dorset. I paddle a fenn elite with a few other paddlers in Cornwall. The Fenn distributor is Glenn Eldridge of ocean sports UK. So check that website out for contact information, alternatively you could go on the fenn UK and Ireland site. Ultimate kayaks stock mostly nelo and epic boats and is closer to swindon. There is also a Stellar distributor in Nottingham that is worth checking out. Hope this helps
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Jordan.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16768 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
Here is the link to ocean sports, also a few videos you can check out and just see what we get up to in the UK :)

www.oceansportuk.com

• sAsLEX
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #16778 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
It is encouraging to see so many skis over there, however I doubt I will be having much time to get to the Ocean so still looking at a K1 pretty strongly.

Would something like this nelo.eu/en/kayaks/details/k1_quattro_classic/ be the right sort of step from a swordfish, noting river vs sea use?

And this nelo.eu/en/kayaks/details/k1_vintage_quattro_l/ a decent step up?

It seems to be mid range in terms of stability according to Nelo.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16780 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
I'm guessing that the classic will be the better step up from the swordfish but it will still be considerably less stable than what you're used to. I once had a Nelo Vintage and that was a fair amount tippier than an elite level ski. But, if you're young then you can adapt to it.

• Treeman
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16781 by Treeman
It will take you a long while to master the Quattro L, where as you'll climb in the Quattro Vintage fall out twice then you'll make progress straight away in terms of stability and stroke technique.( more beam and cockpit space.)
A friend I paddle with regularly has a vintage he loves it.
Same decision you probably made when you chose a swordfish over an elite. Real gain versus possible or hopeful gain.
It will make you a better ski paddler!!

More
10 years 11 months ago #16784 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
Here are my thoughts in the same vain. My near term goal is to become a semi-proficient paddler in a V10 Sport on Maui. My limited experience leads me to believe me that most anybody can paddle a V8, or other ski of similar stability, in most conditions without ever thinking about, or exerting any energy for, stability. You can certainly work on your stroke on the stable platform of the V8 but you eventually have to bite the bullet and step up to an unstable ski, learn to stabilize it (and re-enter it) and develop the necessary stabilization core strength. My feeling is that I'm going to better prepare myself to accomplish my goal (V10 Sport on Maui) by learning to paddle and stabilize a SES, V12 or V14 on my relatively mild conditions at home where I can paddle twice per day or more.
Your thoughts?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16793 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
K1 all the way. The big thing you will notice is that they are very unforgiving on poor technique, which is good!!! Try before you buy as they all vary (like skis).
Then after a season of K1 you get in your ski and it feels as stable as a barge.

I quite often see people saying they want a faster ski for flat water. IMO this is like saying I want a lighter MTB for on the road. Just try a K1 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Nice to hear that you are enjoying the Super sonic Treeman!! Pumpkin is the new yellow
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by ElRicho.

• Treeman
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16797 by Treeman
ElRicho We agree thats for sure.
Give me a hint to your identity. Mr Plod?
I prefer Continental Canary. Its handy when paddling in the near dark down here at the moment.
IT GLOWS.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16810 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
Its a bit cold down here too but have got the K1 pumpkin out only a few times due to family etc. Even if I only get out once a fornight in the K1 I can still get in the ski (Fenn Elite) and its stable as. Yes tree man you know who I am. Did manage to get through to the southern lakes when it blew about 3 weeks ago. 35knts was easily big enough for DWdnr.
Pukaki will be on when the conditions right!!! Brrrrrrrr :blink:

More
10 years 11 months ago #16887 by bunchie37
Replied by bunchie37 on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
Good thread with some good links. Thanks for the info guys.

I'm likely to head back to the UK from Aus in the next 12 months or so, so good to know where to hook up for gear and good times!

• sAsLEX
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #16889 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: UK - Surfski or K1
I will keep this thread updated on what I find.

Both Kirton and Marsport have been quick and helpful to reply, though waiting for 18 weeks to have a boat made will be such a long time!

I might have to see what is available locally to test and enable me to order prior to getting over there.

Latest Forum Topics