Surfski Coaching Qualifications

More
10 years 9 months ago #17153 by Selkie
Is there such a thing as recognised coaching qualifications in the Surfski world?

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17195 by Selkie
No response on this, so I take it that as a no. There are no coaching qualifications recognised either be individual countries or on a wider basis.

How does one go about coaching insurance? I presume the BCU covers things in the UK if you are a qualified Sea Kayak instructor, but most of the training involved would not apply.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17200 by [email protected]
hey Selkie, current Ocean Paddler World Series champion Dawid Mocke has been coaching for many years and South Africa has a basic proficiency certification in place.

But no, there's no coaching certification for surfski as far as I know.

However, I know that Dawid is in the process of starting a project to get this done.

Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll connect you guys up.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selkie

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17201 by Selkie
Thank you Rob. Email on its way.

I have Dawid Mocke's DVD & book. I am a 4 star Sea Kayak Coach, but it would be useful to have a recognised specific coaching program; especially for those with no wish to go the Sea Kayak route.

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Selkie.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17204 by Kocho
A straightforward way would be to include testing guidelines and exams within BCU and ACA, just like they seem to be doing with Greenland Paddling certifications. They already do sea kayaking and white water kayaking. These bodies can add ski paddling and SUP, etc. in the future. It would be hard to have a separate body for ski certifications, but if some of the bigger names in the ski paddling world get behind it, it might happen - the issue would be with credibility and the motive behind it - if it is done for money, it will be contentious who's behind it...

Latest Forum Topics