Ergo training

More
9 years 7 months ago #21588 by Dan_81
Ergo training was created by Dan_81
I was hoping to get some opinions on ergo training in the winter months.
I am a mid pack paddler (at best!) and during the winter months I am limited to 1 outing a week and on the rare occaision 2. I wasn't sure whether a ergo for someone of my level is worthwhile or just an expensive toy.
The main reason was to keep up the paddle fitness in the cooler months as I don't get enough on-water time and by the time the summer races start up I am nowhere near ready enough.
I do other exercise in the winter months but it doesn't keep me "paddle fit".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21600 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Ergo training
is it the cold or enough daylight keeping you off the water ? maybe spending extra $ on good winter clothing instead of the ergo. where do you live ?

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
9 years 7 months ago #21601 by Dan_81
Replied by Dan_81 on topic Ergo training
With work and family life, I miss out on the daylight hours during winter. Weather isn't the problem. Would prefer to be on the water at any chance but was thinking whether the ergo would be a good supplement (for my ability). During the summer months, it would most likely be tucked away unless the weather really goes to shit.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21604 by kwhatmough
Replied by kwhatmough on topic Ergo training
I probably have far less ability than you, and for me I found ergo training to be very beneficial. I only started paddling at the end of last season when I purchased my first surf ski. I am a non-athletic 46-year-old. The only water here is fresh lake water which freezes over. I found a great coach who lent me his ergo for a couple of months over the winter and I did my first race (7.5km) in the spring. I finished close to last place but if I hadn’t spent time training on the ergo I probably wouldn’t have finished at all! My second race was a multisport race later in the season and I did surprizingly well.
I guess that your case sounds different as you have access to water over the winter but regardless I would suggest that borrowing or purchasing a used ergo will pay off. It’s a great substitute when the weather or your time does not allow for paddling.

New boat, same old engine.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21607 by Tom_D
Replied by Tom_D on topic Ergo training
My reply is a little off beat but it offers a different perspective.

I am a recreational paddler who competes infrequently. However, I am a serious biathlete so my winters are full and I compete in summer mountain bike and running biathlons leaving a couple of days a week for paddling.

I own a Speedstroke Gym and have found that it is excellent cross training for skate skiing. The upper body/core strength developed on the Gym help during the ski season. Also I think one's paddle technique can be improved on the the Erg, especially if you can get someone to video you during a short session. Also I find that paddling 10K and longer on the Erg develops a certain mental discipline that translates to any endurance sport.

This June I ruptured my achilles tendon and could ONLY use the Speedstroke for training. (I could still manage to paddle with my leg in a cast.) When I was able to get back in my V10 in late July I felt surprisingly good, way better than if I just jumped in the boat after a long winter out of the boat. After a couple of days in rough water I was having fun and able to continue my conditioning despite the devastating achilles injury that precludes roller skiing, running and serious biking for a few more weeks. The cold water helps too.

I know that the ergs are expensive but maybe you can find a used one...or find a fitness center that has one.

Cheers,
Tom

More
9 years 6 months ago #21609 by Oskar
Replied by Oskar on topic Ergo training
Ergs are great for winter when it's miserable, cold and dark outside. In summer the only reason I'd jump on one is lack to time, it's much more pleasant out on the water.

Ergs are really good for hard interval training, it's much easier to hurt yourself on an erg than on a ski. One minute intervals are real killers, completely out of breath after each one. Sitting on an erg for an hour is a real mental challenge though.

And they're much cheaper than skis, at least here in NZ.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21610 by Dan_81
Replied by Dan_81 on topic Ergo training
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the ergo will be the next purchase. Hopefully both the fitness and the technique will benefit from the erg training in the winter months.

Daniel

Latest Forum Topics