80/20 Training

More
4 years 1 month ago #36111 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic 80/20 Training
Mick references the importance of mobility for us old guys in this article. 

justpaddling.com/mastering-training-to-b...sful-master-paddler/

downwind dilettante
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrcharly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #36123 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic 80/20 Training
Really interesting article.

I found this bit interesting:

As you age, long slow distance (even for long-distance races) should become less of a priority, and high-intensity Interval training must make up the majority of your training volume.

I've started going back to the gym, not doing much, just 25-40 min twice a week. 20 min of that on a hand crank machine. Rest of the time doing single arm rows and crossovers on the cable machine. It is already (in 3 weeks) paying dividends.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
4 years 3 weeks ago #36127 by uk gearmuncher
Replied by uk gearmuncher on topic 80/20 Training

mrcharly wrote: Really interesting article.

I found this bit interesting:

As you age, long slow distance (even for long-distance races) should become less of a priority, and high-intensity Interval training must make up the majority of your training volume.

I've started going back to the gym, not doing much, just 25-40 min twice a week. 20 min of that on a hand crank machine. Rest of the time doing single arm rows and crossovers on the cable machine. It is already (in 3 weeks) paying dividends.

I personally don't like the phrasing of that statement as its misleading. It's not that long slow distance should be 'less of a priority' - it's that high intensity training can delay some of the problems of aging such as the reduction of force production in muscle tissue and a declining VO2 max so is worth well maintaining. There is a limit to how much high intensity work anyone can handle so saying it should 'make up the majority' is poor advice (the published research does not support that view) as its even more likely that an aging athlete will have an increased reduction in recovery time. It's actually that LSD can help with that.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #36141 by PharmGeek
Replied by PharmGeek on topic 80/20 Training
fascinating dialogue!!! NERDISM! 

1 year ago almost to this day, i went from couch to my first training in any sport of my life...im 36 years of age.

Upon "getting serious" I sought advice from a coach (Hayley Nixon and linton) and their approach for my training regime (which is about 5-7 hrs per week total of all activities, running, erg, paddling) seems to move around in proportions....i think in my case we do maf or aerobic easy stuff a good bit, but it may perhaps?? be more like 50/50 for me given im fairly low volume perhaps...but going HARD like 90% is more peppered in...once a month 5 min and 20 min time trial HARD REDLINE effort....intervals that are hard are fairly short ones most of the time, 2-3 min and a handful of them with rest in between, nothing leaves me feeling very sore etc...mobility exercises are key, stretching/yoga stuff and light strength training....

Ive been curious about the 80/20 stuff...i read maffetones book too....i keep an open mind overall myself and we also seem to move around our training targets to fit my season schedule and also seeing time trial results and how things move along and perhaps they do some adjustement?  Im not exactly sure, I just do what im told, and im happy so far I don't feel any injuries now for just over 1 year :D 

I wish we had even more data about people "like us"....but i kinda stay not too worried and just figure "anything works, just don't hurt yourself dude!" and hope that sustains me haha

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #36150 by PharmGeek
related to this subject in various ways....my coach sent me this podcast (ill try and pull in the hyperlink):

"the real science of sport podcast", season 2, episode 2.....touches on these subjects in great detail...very good listen!

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #36151 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic 80/20 Training

related to this subject in various ways....my coach sent me this podcast (ill try and pull in the hyperlink):

"the real science of sport podcast", season 2, episode 2.....touches on these subjects in great detail...very good listen!

This one?

player.fm/series/the-real-science-of-spo...-of-perfect-training

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #36154 by PharmGeek
Yeah I think that’s it - this is from my phone Apple podcast link 

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-scienc...9225?i=1000466807200

Latest Forum Topics