How to get back into training after lockdown

More
3 years 11 months ago #36669 by manta
Hi

We have been in lockdown for what will have been 9 weeks. I have not been on the water in at least 10. In the break I did a lot of weight training and Bodyweight HIIT. I kept busy but I doubt that translates to paddling fitness.

What is the best way to get back into the boat and get back to fitness? Keeping in mind that muscles and tendons will need to reacquaint themselves with the specifics of paddling.

Any good advice from the guys that take a yearly winter hiatus?

Regards
Manta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36671 by mrcharly
I think lots of tempo pace paddling.

My return to paddling is marked with a distinct weakness in an unexpected place; inner thighs! Legs are shaking after just 1.5hours of paddling.

A bit of research suggests that it is the sartorius muscle. Not sure if I've changed posture or it has just become weak with lack of cycling and paddling. 

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #36674 by zachhandler
I deal with this every year because i live in snow country and the lakes are frozen 4 months of the year. In the spring when the ice goes out I am in peak fitness from nordic ski racing all winter. But sitting in a ski feels horrible, my technique feels hopeless, and I have no power. I have learned over the years not to fight the spring suck. Going hard in early season just brings sore muscles and discouraging speeds on the GPS. I just go for easy paddles, and focus on trying to gently find a good feeling stroke. I often turn the GPS off so i focus on feel not effort. it takes me 6 weeks of un-fun paddling, and then something changes and it feels good again  and I have power. I imagine it is the same as when starting a weight lifting program. It takes about 6 weeks to get the first returns on your training. So my advice is to go easy and be patient. Your form and power will come back, but forcing it wont get you there any faster and might get you injured. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by zachhandler.

More
3 years 10 months ago #36678 by manta
Plan is to do lots to technique focussed paddling a slower tempo.

I will keep doing the land based HIIT till my body feels paddling hard ready and then start doing the HIIT in the boat. As long as I am fit again by the windy season which is in October I will be okay. 

Latest Forum Topics