Re: Short sharp training program on flatwater....please?

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1993 by stuartknaggs
As far as I know, the tennis ball theory has lost favour with most coaches. Paddle the boat as it is and do your resistance training in the gym.
Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1994 by mckrouk
I've always found paddling is hard enough as it is, without making it even harder for myself by adding resistance. Haven't personally done the bungee thing, but the lady did ask...

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1995 by Stew

As far as I know, the tennis ball theory has lost favour with most coaches. Paddle the boat as it is and do your resistance training in the gym.
Stuart

A lot of K1 paddlers still use bungees.

Not a technique I've seen used widely on skis though.

More
16 years 1 week ago #1996 by MFB
Great thread, thanks for sharing!

More
16 years 1 week ago #1997 by Part Time Paddler
If you only have a 30 or 40 minute session available, the resistance session would give you a lot of value in terms of work performed, but you would indeed need to ballace this with low resistance high intensity sessions to maintain the ability to paddle fast. You could either alternate the sessions or periodise the resistance work early in the season and then reduce it to work on turning your new strength into power and then into boat speed.

More
16 years 1 week ago #1998 by Janita K
Ever had one of those experiences where you feel something new and you think "Wow...how did I not do this before?"
Well, thanks to this forum, I tried the occy strap (bungy cord) around my ski to add resistance and it just feels SO effective...great use of time and you can feel this non-stop CRUUUUNNNCH through your abs that must be doing you good.

I am expecting my new paddle to be delivered any day...so using a bungy to sloooowwww the stroke down so I can really concentrate on the feel of the blade will be perfect.

If you havent tried it...have a go...all the best ideas seem the simplest.
Chao
Janita K
Hervey Bay
Australia

Latest Forum Topics