Problems with Speedstroke Gym Erg

More
3 years 5 months ago #37558 by jsapan
Hi - it seems like at least a few people here have or have used a KayakPro erg.  I'm having a problem where the anti-twist connectors crash into the housing while paddling.  Has anyone encountered this?

The only suggestion from KayakPro so far is to buy a new set of bungees and ropes, which I'm loathe to do because the KayakPro parts appear to be nothing special and yet are sold for 3X normal retail price.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37564 by kwolfe
I've had the same issue with mine.  It's super %!@$@ annoying.  I have a replacement set that came with mine but haven't installed them.  Instead I do two things:
1) I wrapped the coupler in electric tape to cushion it
2) I found that it was happening when I rushed my catch.  Let the wiggle settle down and start with a smooth transition from exit to catch and the problem went away.

If those hadn't worked, I was going to wedge a small piece of foam in that gap where the two beam pieces meet to build a small "ramp" to deflect it.  That's where it's hitting (where the I beam end goes into the square tube end with the flywheel).

Make sense?  And yes their parts are stupidly expensive.  Nice part about Concept rowers are cheap replacement parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsapan

More
3 years 5 months ago #37570 by zachhandler
Agree with kwolfe about rushing the catch. When my swivels start banging it is a cue to me to be slow and deliberate in the catch. Whenever i do that my speed goes up without an increase in effort. The same thing works on the water too an regards to slowing the catch leading to a better stroke. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsapan

Latest Forum Topics