Winter indoor training in the COVID era

More
3 years 5 months ago #37670 by Arcturus
Supposed to go down to 14 degrees tonight and similar for a few more nights. That's 14 Fahrenheit. I had hoped for maybe two more weeks of paddling, but the two large lakes less than 2 hrs away will be off limits sooner. Drat.

Without springing for expensive, space-hogging, specialized equipment, what exercises do you recommend for in-home winter maintenance (maybe) of strength? We can hike on varied terrain here year 'round, including higher altitudes, with proper clothing etc, so the legs and lungs can be kept at a reasonable base level of fitness. But I'd like to do some work on the upper half using a few free weights and rubber bands/tubes, preferably dumbbells over barbells. Nothing that requires a spotter or a bench.

Got suggestions or links to helpful websites for the above?

X-C skiing is fun but I need something I can do right at home or out the door. Cannot count on being able to safely travel or use group indoor facilities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37673 by mrcharly
Ivan Lawler did a series on kayaking exercises. They are youtube.
Also, look up Sal Montgomery (on youtube). Olympic freestyle paddler and physiotherapist. She has some short videos on training.
I think that a lot can be done with a weight bag and chinup bar or rings. 

More
3 years 5 months ago #37680 by tomfisher
I was watching the training regime of Olympic kayakers a few days ago, they do a lot of back and core strengthening exercises.

Just found the vid:

TRX straps hooked into a door, a few hand weights or bands, and the ball is what is needed for most of these exercises.

My local gyms have all closed, so gotta make this a regular thing at home.

Sea Eagle Explorer 380x
Ocean Kayak Malibu
Nelo 510

Werner Athena

More
3 years 5 months ago #37723 by SpaceSputnik
If you are minimally handy and can get a hold of an old Nordic Track ski machine you can build your own paddling erg. There are plans available to purchase for a few bucks.
I did that a year ago, love it and use it regularly in addition to my bi-weekly weight sessions.
Tried switching to threadmill for a month or so, went back to the erg because I found running less challenging and too leg centric. Erg provides a full body workout that and a lot more relevant to paddling.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37741 by Arcturus
Thank you all for the suggestions. I’ll bookmark the training exercises and shop for a Swiss ball of the right size. I’m thinking that a chinup bar could be rigged to be supported by a hitch-mounted vertical post or similar setup (such as the Extend-A-Bed in its vertical position). The truck is parked in an insulated garage with heat, kept cooler than the ”living areas.” 

More
3 years 3 months ago #37975 by Charivari
yep,
I don't fond some explainations, which answers better my open questions up to now!!

Sailing since 1985, Laser, Cat.
Round the world trip by bike, 1990.
Sea-kayak from Vancouver to Alaska, 1990.
A-Cat, Bimare, 1990.
Coastal Rowing, Virus, 1992.
Fyling A-Cat, DNA F1, 2018.
New Coastal Rowing Boat, Volans, 2019.
First Surfski experience, material rent, 2020.
First Surfski, NK61, 2021

More
3 years 3 months ago #37976 by Charivari
My winter prep is rowing:
i) indoor = Waterrower
www.waterrower.com/us/
Better for the wrist, because the water cycles and so the force don't hit in.
ii) outdoor = Volans Coastal Rowing
www.volanswatersports.com/volanscoastal/?lang=en
Over 0°C I use just biking equipment to stay warm and the boat is quite stable.
The 12 week online fitness program from heather is great to challenge the hole body.
www.youtube.com/user/heatherrobertsoncom
Plus Mobility Training from calimove to use the full range of movement again (if you get older).

Cheers

Sailing since 1985, Laser, Cat.
Round the world trip by bike, 1990.
Sea-kayak from Vancouver to Alaska, 1990.
A-Cat, Bimare, 1990.
Coastal Rowing, Virus, 1992.
Fyling A-Cat, DNA F1, 2018.
New Coastal Rowing Boat, Volans, 2019.
First Surfski experience, material rent, 2020.
First Surfski, NK61, 2021

Latest Forum Topics