Tips to increase paddling angle?

3 days 14 hours ago #39258 by XV2PS
Hello,
My paddle angle is barely 45 degrees left arm up and less right arm up (got shoulder surgery there in April).
Both arms can lift up higher though.

Is there any trick/tip to induce/force a more vertical paddling? I could partly but it keeps lowering. Usually doing trips of approx 20km on flat water. Difficult to stay focused.

Thanks

Here is a short video:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 days 7 hours ago #39259 by mrcharly
Changing too much at once tends to be counter productive.

I suggest working on your pre-stroke setup and top hand.
Work on technique with a stroke - pause in setup position - stroke 

Setup - paddle needs to be a lot higher and horizontal.

When driving with the top hand (the drive should all come from rotation, not from straightening arm), move it parallel to the surface of the water.

Look for Ivan Lawler's lessons on youtube.

3 days 5 hours ago #39260 by kwolfe
I guess my first question is, why do you want to raise your top hand.  If this is your typical pace, it looks like you are having fun cruising.  Raising that top hand will give you better leverage which you could use to be faster but do you want to be?

If so, mrcharly is spot on,  your set up is very important.  Also, try to keep your top hand sweeping in front of you at eye level.  You top hand appears to punch forward a bit which will shorten your stroke and result in that hand dropping sooner.  Top hand is only a guide while your bottom hand does the pulling.

3 days 5 hours ago #39261 by MarineO6
Appears as if you’re not driving enough with your body.  Here’s a link to some training resources (from this site!), check out the first one with Ivan Lawler.
It’s a bit long, but you only have to watch the first minute and 12 seconds (Part I, Essential Technique) to give you plenty to work with.

www.surfski.info/forum/18-training/18983...nique-resources.html

2 days 23 hours ago #39262 by M.v.E.
A more vertical paddle angle will put more stress on your shoulders I guess. So it might be not a good idea to increase your paddle angle when you had shoulder surgery recently. I think you can paddle pretty fast with lower arms as long as you´ve got proper technique and good rotation.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

2 days 20 hours ago #39263 by XV2PS
Thank you everybody. Lots of food for thoughts. Will try in coming sessions.
Yes I am having fun, but I would like to have a decent technique and speed up a little bit and see some evolution in my average speed. I am a 97kg stiff hippo and would be happy to reach higher than 8.8kmph averages. Losing weight is part of the challenge . And increasing speed would be a good motivator.
Thanks again.

2 days 12 hours ago #39264 by mrcharly
Don't obsess about speed. Really, don't.

There is always someone much, much faster.  The only valid speed comparison is with the person next to you, who is at a similar stage in their paddling journey. Even comparing your own paddles, day to day, isn't good. Water and weather affects speed a lot.

Ivan did a whole series about paddling (something to keep him occupied during lockdown). It is worth watching.

Key points:
Don't let top hand drop.
Keep your paddle stroke short. If you are 'locking your arms', driving from legs and rotating, your paddle will come out of the water nice and early. 
None-drive side hip - rotate this forward. Oscar says to push it forward, which sounded wrong to me. I tried it, and it really improved my rotation.

1 day 15 hours ago #39267 by XV2PS
Thanks Mrcharly

Latest Forum Topics

Should I stay or should I go? How big is too big? (8 Posts)

2 hours 20 minutes ago

Tips to increase paddling angle? (8 Posts)

1 day 12 hours ago

Epic codes (8 Posts)

5 days 9 hours ago
Protected by R Antispam