Re: GPS and Heart Rate Monitor for Training and Race

More
16 years 11 months ago #281 by [email protected]

Does anyone have specific functions with the unit that they find helpful in training?

The two most useful that I've used are:
  • Custom training sessions - I use the Training Centre software on the PC to set up my schedule for the week, and I create custom sessions such as: 5min warm-up, no target, Repeat 5x pyramid sprint sessions of 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 minutes each with a target of 80% max HR and with a 1min rest in between each sprint followed by a 5min warm down. I find the ability to set up imaginative sessions makes training easier.
  • Virtual partner - which allows you to push yourself against the Forerunner.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #282 by MFB
HI Robin,

What data have you selected in the LCD screen? What do you recommend? I used to have it cycle to all the screens but found that difficult to read after some time.

For main 1, I put Speed, Heart rate, average lap time and total distance. I had the other two set up for the other sports that I do.

More
16 years 11 months ago #283 by [email protected]

What data have you selected in the LCD screen? What do you recommend?

Depends what I'm doing. For general paddling I have elapsed time, speed, HR, distance.

For sprint training I stick with the default screens that it throws up when you have a target (ie HR & time to go). For long distance training I'll keep an eye on HR and keep it below a certain figure e.g. 75% of max.

For shorter races I'll use speed, distance & time. I know the top guys like using speed so that they can tell whether they're in a current or not. If they suddenly slow down they'll alter their line to try to find a favorable current.

For races I prefer not to show HR because HR is misleading in a race (because of adrenalin issues, etc) but rather go with how I'm feeling.

Sometimes in long races (like Cape Point) I'll use the nav features and put a route in - then it shows how far and how much time to go to the next waypoint. Of course, if you're really knackered & there's a current against you, then the display can hurt your morale!!!

Hope that helps!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 11 months ago #284 by bluesea
Can the 305 show a (numerical) compass course heading, and the direction to a waypoint?

More
16 years 11 months ago #285 by [email protected]

Can the 305 show a (numerical) compass course heading, and the direction to a waypoint?

When you use the Navigation function to Go To a waypoint, a screen becomes available that shows a compass with a needle that points to the waypoint; the distance to the waypoint and the estimated time to get there.

In practice I find the lettering on the compass so small that I can't read where North is - my GPS is mounted about 20cm beyond my feet at the front of the cockpit.

Rob

More
16 years 9 months ago #286 by cjborg
-new to heart rate monitors, so these may be naive questions:
1) why the Garmin Forerunner 305 instead of the Edge 305 ? ...size? if larger, wouldn't the larger display be easier to read?
2) would it be possible to mount the cadence sensor for cycling on one's wrist to get paddling cadence?

More
16 years 9 months ago #287 by [email protected]

-new to heart rate monitors, so these may be naive questions:
1) why the Garmin Forerunner 305 instead of the Edge 305 ? ...size? if larger, wouldn't the larger display be easier to read?
2) would it be possible to mount the cadence sensor for cycling on one's wrist to get paddling cadence?

The forerunner is easier to mount on a ski - just strap it onto footstraps or shock cord.
We've tried mounting the cadence sensor but it weren't really able to get to work satisfactorily - especially on the sea where it's difficult to get your wrist to come within range of the sensor.

Rob

More
16 years 9 months ago #288 by bjb
Have many of you had problems with the 305 getting wet? Unfortunately my 1st one lasted about 8 months then failed. Garmin has sent me my 3rd one each of which has failed within weeks to a month! I love the product and just want a solution so as to continue training with it. By the way I always cover the usb port and beeper holes with electrical tape and always appear dry and non-corroded. I wonder if water manages to sneak in around the inset of the start/lap buttons. Thanks, Barry

Latest Forum Topics