Re: Cadence

More
16 years 9 months ago #609 by [email protected]
I've it quite effective to count my strokes and regulate my cadence that way.

I use a Garmin forerunner 305 and configure it to show the time in big digits - I know I should be doing a count of about 45 per minute (counting one side only) if I'm doing good solid strokes.

When paddling hard, I'll get to 50 counts per minute - if I count to 100 I know I'm within a couple of seconds of two minutes.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #610 by stallion09
Replied by stallion09 on topic Re: Cadence
Rob,

Just curious what your flatwater speed is with that cadence.

Thanks

Thanks

My surfski blog

ct-surfski.blogspot.com/

More
16 years 9 months ago #611 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Cadence

I've used a waterproof metronome (meant for swimming) when paddling. I lost it recently, but it worked great when doing K1 workouts on flatwater. It worked especially well for slow cadences, for instance doing 60 spm technique work. Without the metronome I'd almost certainly pick my cadence up too high. It is called TempoTrainer by Finis.

I looked into this TempoTrainer by Finis online. Unfortunately, I've read a lot of negative comments too such as terrible battery life. Its disposable as battery is not replaceable. It dies after 3 months, kinda expensive for that shelf life.

Im currently using DaCapo by Rogame for my Treo. Since I already bring my mobile, it just works fine. However, radio should be turned off to ensure the beats are accurate.

Its best if Garmin can just incorporate this with the forerunner.

More
16 years 9 months ago #612 by pjjacob
Replied by pjjacob on topic Re: Cadence
When I was starting out I was really worried about my stroke rate because it seemed like mine was much slower than everyone else's and I figured I was doing something wrong. 5 years later my stroke rate is still slower than the guys I paddle with and I get compliments on how smooth I look (at least to them!).

I think stroke rate should be about the last thing you worry about, either fast or slow. Good technique, with full rotation, forward catch, and a good glide and your stroke rate will be perfect for whatever conditions you are paddling in. My rate varies all over the place depending on the situation, even in flat water. Forget about it!

More
16 years 9 months ago #613 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Cadence

I think stroke rate should be about the last thing you worry about, either fast or slow. Good technique, with full rotation, forward catch, and a good glide and your stroke rate will be perfect for whatever conditions you are paddling in. My rate varies all over the place depending on the situation, even in flat water. Forget about it!

I agree - mostly. All I would say is that a stroke that is too fast is less effective than slower, stronger pull.

Focussing on a smoother stroke with a good reach to the catch will automatically slow your stroke anyway.

But the actual numbers i.e. strokes per minute, I agree are IMHO pretty much meaningless and depend on the paddler, length of paddle, conditions, etc.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #614 by dkpearse
Replied by dkpearse on topic Re: Cadence
I have used the metronome as a coaching aid. Due to the lack of having a coach when I am on the water. I don't really have a set schedule for paddling.

The metronome can be used a number of ways, one is to get the stroke rate up, and the other is maintain a certain rate.

One workout is to keep a higher than "my" normal stroke rate over a certain distance. i.e. 2 kms @ 90. This forces me to stay at this rate without having my coach do it.

Another is set it at a slower rate say 60 and use power strokes. Full rotation and full leg push / pull. When used with a Garmin you can actually see what works and what doesn't in real time.

I find it a very handy training tool.

Darrell

More
16 years 9 months ago #615 by MFB

I have used the metronome as a coaching aid. Due to the lack of having a coach when I am on the water. I don't really have a set schedule for paddling.

The metronome can be used a number of ways, one is to get the stroke rate up, and the other is maintain a certain rate.

One workout is to keep a higher than "my" normal stroke rate over a certain distance. i.e. 2 kms @ 90. This forces me to stay at this rate without having my coach do it.

Another is set it at a slower rate say 60 and use power strokes. Full rotation and full leg push / pull. When used with a Garmin you can actually see what works and what doesn't in real time.

I find it a very handy training tool.

Darrell

Hi Darrel,

What metronome do you use?

More
16 years 9 months ago #616 by MFB
There is a minimum stroke rate to get your ski or kayak up to a certain speed. This can be easily observed in icf k1 races. To train yourself to get to this minimum, a metronome is perfect. As Darrel mentioned, its like having your own coach. Training together with your Gps and heart rate monitor, these can provide feedback on what works and what doesnt. Bottom line is achieving efficient use of your energy to get the maximum possible speed.

Also, you shouldnt increase your stroke rate if your technique suffers. Go up only up to the point where you can still execute your rotation, catch and exit properly. Surely with diligent training and setting targets, you'll go faster in due time.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23493 by Teddy_the_grownup
Replied by Teddy_the_grownup on topic Re: Cadence
I think the metronome idea is genius. I did a search on the apple ap store and there are many to choose from. I found called Pro Metronome which can be configured for 1-4 beats. So you can break out the different phases of paddling.

Long beat Setup
Short beat Catch
Short beat Pull
Long beat Setup/recovery

S18S stellar ski since 12/14
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Teddy_the_grownup.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23498 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: Cadence
Kiwi Developed the Vaaka

www.vaakacadence.com/kayak-cadence/

Latest Forum Topics