To breathe or not to breathe

More
13 years 1 month ago #6532 by Andres Coll
I wonder what would be good breathing cadence while paddling?
I have found that breathing in one stroke, breathing out two strokes works fine while speeding, fast, on smooth seas, but it can be strenuous if done for long periods of time. I don't have the strong feeling while breathing in as I have when expelling air, under the pressure of the core muscles, so it feels like one "weak" stroke and two strong ones.
What would be a healthy breathing technique?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6533 by Rightarmbad
When running, breathing is timed to the foot strike.
Breathing out is easier to do so when running, so one foot to breathe out on and however many you like to breathe in on depending on your speed.
When running easier, two for out works well too.

For me at least, breathing is a non factor in paddling, I consume so much less oxygen when paddling, than running or cycling, that it never occurred to me that breathing may be an issue.
That may be a little genetic as I was measured with an 11 litre vital lung capacity when I was young and fit.

I suggest that you take up a little fitness running to enhance your cardio vascular system to a point at which it also becomes a non issue for you......

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Rightarmbad.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6535 by latman
Or paddle harder so you need the air/oxygen , breathing is more inportant when paddling due to the torso muscles/diaphram relationship IMO.

In answer to the original post there will be different levels of effort that are "optimised" at different breathing rates (remember you have control of "depth" of breath too)
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by latman.

Latest Forum Topics