Just for fun.. rate each component of ski paddling

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6534 by AR_convert
Just for a bit of fun and to promote discussion on the topic I thought it may be interesting to gauge peoples perceptions of what each component of ski paddling is worth as a percentage.

Let's assume that we all weigh the same with the same level of fitness and that the weather and water conditions are constant.

I'll kick it off with some not to well considered figures to get the ball rolling.

Ski Hull Shape 44%
Ski Weight 10%
Ski construction 10%
Paddle type 5%
Paddle stroke 30%
Ski graphics ;) 1%

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6538 by Rightarmbad
The only way I can answer this is to assume that the boat is similar as well in at least width/length dimensions.
Otherwise plastic fishing boats would take almost 100%
difference.
I'll also assume that we are talking open water and not a sheltered creek and that you are sitting in the boat for a reasonable length of time.

State of mind 20%
Comfort and ergonomics 45%

Predictability of boat 30%
(stability related, but I don't mind tippy as long as the movement of the boat is predictable and doesn't do weird and throw me off. Juggling around is fine, but the boat doing a major change of attitude such as the back moving 3 foot to one side without warning is a bitch.)

Everything else 5%

As far as I know at the moment, the weight of any of the popular skis/paddles is much and a muchance.
There's only a 7 percent difference between a flat blade and a wing, so the wing profile is hardly going to be a substantial difference.

The stickers have got me worried though.....

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6542 by Colnagodreaming
Just remember. In the surf ski world, as in life, IMAGE IS EVERYTHING....

The graphics are critical....

Latest Forum Topics