How to get leg drive

More
12 years 2 months ago #9638 by Marieski
For all of the various parts of the forward stroke there are exercises or imagery to help you focus on or achieve them eg, spearing the fish, swinging off the light poles etc. The one I can't seem to get working is leg drive. I can definitely see my knees moving up and down and I am alternating pressure on the footplate with either foot, but I just can't feel any power/tension through my legs or pelvis like I can through my abdomen or back.I feel like everything from my lower abdo downward is just going through the motions. Are there any exercises or mental models anyone can suggest to engage these muscles?

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9644 by Kayaker Greg
Sorry I can't help you Marieski as leg drive comes naturally to me but could you explain the swing of the light poles?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9647 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Re: How to get leg drive
I really like the following imagery from Greg Barton. This is an excerpt from www.epickayaks.com/news/news/bartons-forward-stroke:

"The following describes how Barton thinks about his forward stroke:

It helps if you think that someone has taken a series of poles and driven them into the water down into the bottom on both sides of the boat and you are able to grab each one and pull yourself by. Only take it a bit further and pretend that you've got this big old row boat that's out in front of you and you're actually suspended just above the water behind it pushing it forward with your feet. So you're grabbing this pole and trying to push the boat forward with your feet. And there's another pole on the other side and you do the same thing with that. If you think of it that way it really helps to get the forward force on the legs. In paddling you have to transfer your power to the boat and the two places you are touching are your feet and the seat. But I think the forward force is coming almost entirely from your feet and your rear end is stationary".

I also recommend that you google Imre Kemecsey, the great K1 coach. His imagery, including "power circles" is excellent. His drill for this is to imagine that you are opening a massive, sticking, rusty-hinged, church door: plant your feet solidly and create a strong, rigid structure, your arms should be like ropes between your shoulders and the door handle (use leg drive and body rotation to open the door rather than your arm muscles).

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by gstamer.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9649 by steveburge
Replied by steveburge on topic Re: How to get leg drive
I am only new to this sport but I been doing a set distance between buoys in the least amount of strokes as possible. It forces me to fully rotate and due to that rotation the leg drive feels really obvious.

• Rabubiman
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9656 by Rabubiman
Replied by Rabubiman on topic Re: How to get leg drive
Hi,
I am no expert either, but having recently been struggling to visualize this (especially in headwind conditions, where the first thing I forget is leg drive) I stumbled upon something that I think is quite powerful: a recent adjustment of my footplate has resulted in a subtle squeak with every push. In essence, I have noticed that this audio signal is quite helpful. By watching the gps I am determining which leg-drive is most effective in terms of boat speed. Whenever I paddle in a double or a K2 my teammate always says that my drive feels quite jerky, and not smooth or gliding. I have no noticed that an assertive but more constantly applied drive on the footplate (resulting in a longer, less jerky 'squeak') delivered a faster boat speed. The timing of the squeak should coincide with the power stroke, and I think it is good to be conscious of the glide that follows too.

Interested in anyone else's view here?

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9659 by patrickswitz
Replied by patrickswitz on topic Re: How to get leg drive
To feel leg enagagement, start by just kicking your foot plate hard as soon as your catch is planted. It won't be pretty at first, but you'll wake up the connection and then you'll need to figure out how to connect the leg push to your core/ paddle.

The "power circle" idea as I understand it means that you have equal and opposite reaction for any forces applied during the stroke. So if you kick with your leg, you feel it instantly in the paddle and vice versa.

The problem with fixating on leg drive is that it's only useful if the leg force is going into your core/paddle, and not pushing your ass back in the bucket. It's possible to wear your legs out and get your heart rate up just by kicking against the foot plate without even paddling.

On a side note, beware of long strokes with heavy leg drive in conditions in which it's difficult to keep you balance. I find that doing this locks up my hips and kills my rough water reflexes. After a race here on Oahu one time Karel Jr. mentioned that he never intentionally pushes with his legs because it keeps him from feeling the water through his connection with the boat.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9660 by Perth ski chick
I frequently notice that my leg drive is not doing much for me, and it's always when I forget to engage my abs. Maybe concentrate on getting all three parts of the stroke working together - push with your leg as you contract your abs and make the catch and pull through.

This used to be habit but three months off has meant that I forget my abs quite a lot!!

More
12 years 1 month ago #9838 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: How to get leg drive
Thanks very much for the suggestions, all. I've been on the water, swinging the door while pushing the rowboat and trying to make it squeak. An epiphany has in fact happened, though not in the way intended. The first part, was lengthening my footplate distance and tightening my footstraps to start with. I've always had the footstraps very loose because I nearly drowned strapped into an upsidedown waveski once. I compensated for the resultant lack of connection to the ski by jamming myself against the back of the cockpit, which doesn't give my hips much room to drive. Reversing this will have freed up the necessary space.

The second part was as a result of a preliminary reading of Imre Kemecsey's Power Circles theory (thanks Greg). It wasn't the leg drive section which produced anything, possibly because the concepts were so close to what I was trying to do before that my body repeated the same (wrong) movements it has been praticing for the past couple of years. The side to side movement, involving the "water wall" was new though, and it was in experimenting with this, rocking my lower body sideways, that it seemed to free up and rotate forwards as well!

This illustrates how strong and unconcious motor programming is and hence how hard it is to alter, especially a complex movement.Only by making a radical change was I able to break the programmed sequence. I now intend to repeat on the currently ugly exaggerated movement I've got and work it backwards to eliminate the unneccesary bits.

And see if I can try to apply some of Kemecsey's principles in the way they were intended.

Kayaker Greg, I assume you've figured out the light poles now?

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

• chcomeuxaaa
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10306 by chcomeuxaaa
"Prince a été très douloureux, <a href=http://www.frenchsacamain.com>ルイヴィトン désespéré de sauter en bas de la tour, il tomba dans une des buissons d'épines, mais pas tué, mais a été poignardé cravate yeux des aveugles, il marchait sans but dans la forêt, manger seules racines et des baies tous les jours pour la perte d'un être cher et malheureusement il a crié son tour si douloureux dans la forêt pendant plusieurs années, est finalement arrivé au désert ルイヴィトン de la souffrance girl laitue laitue a donné naissance à des jumeaux, un fils, une fille du prince a entendu une voix, et je pense que les sons très familier, puis se dirigea vers l'endroit où et quand il s'est approché, fille de laitue a immédiatement reconnu, les bras autour de son cou et pleura. deux gouttes de larmes mouillant ses yeux, afin qu'ils retrouver la lumière, il peut voir les choses comme avant, il prit sa femme et ses enfants dans son royaume, un accueil chaleureux par le peuple qui heureusement de vivre éternellement. forêt dans les trois dernières nains, un homme est mort de sa femme, une femme est morte de son mari et cet homme a eu une fille, cette femme avait aussi une fille. deux petites filles se connaissent, souvent pour une promenade ensemble un jour, ils sont venus ensemble après les femmes laches finis à domicile étape, une femme de la fille d'un homme, dit:

?écoute, dis à ton père que je suis prêt à se marier avec lui, <a href=http://www.frenchsacamain.com>ルイヴィトン puisque vous pouvez utiliser tous les jours, le lait du matin . visage, mais aussi boire du vin, et ma propre eau de lavage seule fille, et ne peuvent boire de l'eau "de la fille à la maison, la femme dit alors à son père l'homme a déclaré:." comment puis-je faire . c'est le mariage est un événement heureux, peut également apporter une douleur ?indécis tard, il a finalement décollé une botte, a déclaré:" Les bottes que sur le fond d'un trou vous le mettez grenier Lindao, le Il accroché dans un gros clou, puis entra, et un peu d'eau d'irrigation si l'eau ne coule pas, je voudrais épouser une femme;. Louis Vuitton sac pas cher mais si l'eau coule pas, je ne vais pas épouser ?dit la jeune fille par son père à faire l'. mais l'eau rend la corde expansion de trou, et des bottes remplies d'eau on ne peut échapper à son père dit à ses résultats, son père s'occuper personnellement pour voir la situation est vraiment le cas, alors le sort de la veuve de l'épouser, puis a tenu mariée le matin le premier jour, les deux filles ensemble, en face de la fille d'un homme qui m'a ルイヴィトン vraiment marqué le visage de boire du lait et du vin, et dans la fille de la femme se tenait devant l'eau de lavage et de boire de l'eau seulement. Le lendemain matin, la fille des hommes et des femmes sont placés en face du visage de sa fille dans l'eau et buvez de l'eau.

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #10310 by Jonojnr
Yeah, what that last guy said exactly! Gave me another 2 knots! and a lovely handbag by some guy named Louis....

• chcomeuxaaa
  • Visitor
12 years 4 weeks ago #10336 by chcomeuxaaa
"Prince a été très douloureux, ルイヴィトン désespéré de sauter en bas de la tour, il tomba dans une des buissons d'épines, mais pas tué, mais a été poignardé cravate yeux des aveugles, il marchait sans but dans la forêt, manger seules racines et des baies tous les jours pour la perte d'un être cher et malheureusement il a crié son tour si douloureux dans la forêt pendant plusieurs années, est finalement arrivé au désert ルイヴィトン de la souffrance girl laitue laitue a donné naissance à des jumeaux, un fils, une fille du prince a entendu une voix, et je pense que les sons très familier, puis se dirigea vers l'endroit où et quand il s'est approché, fille de laitue a immédiatement reconnu, les bras autour de son cou et pleura. deux gouttes de larmes mouillant ses yeux, afin qu'ils retrouver la lumière, il peut voir les choses comme avant, il prit sa femme et ses enfants dans son royaume, un accueil chaleureux par le peuple qui heureusement de vivre éternellement. forêt dans les trois dernières nains, un homme est mort de sa femme, une femme est morte de son mari et cet homme a eu une fille, cette femme avait aussi une fille. deux petites filles se connaissent, souvent pour une promenade ensemble un jour, ils sont venus ensemble après les femmes laches finis à domicile étape, une femme de la fille d'un homme, dit:

?écoute, dis à ton père que je suis prêt à se marier avec lui, ルイヴィトン puisque vous pouvez utiliser tous les jours, le lait du matin . visage, mais aussi boire du vin, et ma propre eau de lavage seule fille, et ne peuvent boire de l'eau "de la fille à la maison, la femme dit alors à son père l'homme a déclaré:." comment puis-je faire . c'est le mariage est un événement heureux, peut également apporter une douleur ?indécis tard, il a finalement décollé une botte, a déclaré:" Les bottes que sur le fond d'un trou vous le mettez grenier Lindao, le Il accroché dans un gros clou, puis entra, et un peu d'eau d'irrigation si l'eau ne coule pas, je voudrais épouser une femme;. Louis Vuitton sac pas cher mais si l'eau coule pas, je ne vais pas épouser ?dit la jeune fille par son père à faire l'. mais l'eau rend la corde expansion de trou, et des bottes remplies d'eau on ne peut échapper à son père dit à ses résultats, son père s'occuper personnellement pour voir la situation est vraiment le cas, alors le sort de la veuve de l'épouser, puis a tenu mariée le matin le premier jour, les deux filles ensemble, en face de la fille d'un homme qui m'a ルイヴィトン vraiment marqué le visage de boire du lait et du vin, et dans la fille de la femme se tenait devant l'eau de lavage et de boire de l'eau seulement. Le lendemain matin, la fille des hommes et des femmes sont placés en face du visage de sa fille dans l'eau et buvez de l'eau.

Latest Forum Topics