Beginner ski for a tall guy...?

More
11 years 8 months ago #12536 by coldwater
Any suggestions?
My default suggestion for a 6'4" mate of mine starting to paddle - FENN XT....
any other ideas please??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12552 by Burtonwatersports
A burton wedge is a really stable ski. How soon is he looking for one as burton watersports is going to have a ski like the V8 very soon
The following user(s) said Thank You: coldwater

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #12600 by Dooley
I have paddled most of the well known beginner-intermendiate ocean-ski boats, but recently I have really enjoyed paddling the Think Evo II's.
I find these boats stable, responsive, and also pretty quick - which is important for many beginners as it delays the need for them to upgrade to a faster boat.
I am 6' 2" tall and weigh about 100 kgs (sorry to mix Imperial and Metric - but I have been the same height from before the conversion but not the same weight :unsure: ).
I find the Evo II's still have at least 3" foot adjustment left, so even a 6' 4" paddler should still fit easily. In contrast, the old model Evo's (also an excellent boat) have less leg adjustment.
Yes, do I own an Evo II. But as I am now on to my third Evo, I am not getting carried away with new boat enthusiasm! If I was to recommend an alternative for a beginner wanting excellent stability it would be the Fenn XT.
But if you want a boat to use mainly in the surf, then don't get an ocean ski, get a surf ski instead.
That said, I recommend that you do try plenty of boats before you buy.
The key to enjoying this sport is to buy a boat you enjoy paddling. Worry about speed later - if ever - as for most of us paddle for enjoyment not for a living. :)
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Dooley. Reason: clarification

More
11 years 8 months ago #12648 by marklewin
Hi,
This might be a bit late but i was told of this question recently. I do not normally have time to read all the forum topics.

We have recently introduced the FOCUS single surfski into the market in South Africa. which, after paddling as many different ski's as you have,you will not have any stability problems and the ski will be competitive up to and including the faster elite racing surfski's. A big attraction particularly for tall paddlers is that I am 6'10" tall, weight 105kgs and I have no problem with the leg length or the buoyancy of the craft in any conditions. Most of the surfski's in the market have a 30cm track length. Our range of surfski's have a 40cm adjustable length range. This gives you at least 2 longer otpional sizes and 2 shorter sizes, which then does not prejudice shorter paddlers.

I coach paddling and can hop out of a FOCUS and turn it around in the water and put a 12 year old in the ski.

There is plenty of info and articles on our face book page via our website.

Regards
Mark Lewin
Custom Kayaks

Latest Forum Topics