Lifetime

More
11 years 7 months ago #12704 by Bayou
Lifetime was created by Bayou
I would like to know how long we can use a carbon boat compare to a fiberglass one.

How bd i the sun for a arbo boat ?

Any specific care for a carbon boat ?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12712 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Lifetime
As always, how long is a piece of string?

Don't hit things or get them rolled in big curling surf and they will last a long time. (or at least they should if there is no problems with the layup)

Keep any layup out of the sun when not in use.

The carbon may or may not be stronger in a surf situation, depends on exact layups and how the boat gets slammed.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 7 months ago #12718 by Dooley
Replied by Dooley on topic Re: Lifetime
Bayou, as RAB says, it all depends.

In my experience the lighter the boat the less robust is will be. It is not that Carbon (or Kevlar etc) are not very strong materials, but that these materials are only used to get the boats weight down without compromising too much on strength.

But in most circumstances a fibreglass boat will probably prove to be stronger - but naturally heavier.

If your one of these people who does not regularly paddle in surf bigger than 4'; don't paddle over rocks, or into floating logs, or floating navigation lights; don't collide with other skis, surfboards, or power boats; don't tie your ski down too hard; or too loose; or drive about having forgot to tie it down at all; or drive into an underground car-park with the ski still on top of your SUV; or reverse into a telegraph pole, picket fence, house, bus, truck or other object harder than your ski; or leave your ski in the hot sun everyday, particularly with the bung still in; etc - then your ski will last a long time regardless of what it's made from.

But if your like the rest of us... resign yourself to the reality that you will have to repair that ski from time to time, or maybe even take it to the trash tip when the repair shop guys roll about laughing saying things like "...you want me to do what?".

Latest Forum Topics