Custom Kayaks Focus

More
10 years 11 months ago #16415 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Custom Kayaks Focus

Rookie wrote: Hi i have the standard glass and it comes in at around 19kg

Wow, that sounds positively HEAVY compared to the figures we're used to talking about. I have a 20kg plastic ski that once you get it up and running it is great fun downwind but it takes a little more effort to get it up to speed with that weight.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16417 by sylv1
Replied by sylv1 on topic Re: Custom Kayaks Focus
Hi Everybody,
I've got the full carbon Focus, around 13kg (look ever heavier after a downwind ;) ).
It's little bit heavier than the other brand, but much stronger. I'm very surprised to read your friend hybrid boat was fragile.
A sky need attention when you carry it, it's not a piece of hard wood or iron.
The full carbon give the highest rigidity, the better efficiency but it's more fragile. I "touch" my car or something else a few time, but never crack it, comparatively to other brand lighter, it's rock solid.
Mark offers 4 constructions, the glass at 17kg (full polyester), the hybrid 14kg (hull in glass, deck in carbon), full carbon 12kg (hull & deck in carbon), and a new one I saw in custom kayak page around 10 kg (I haven't more info about this one).
More your boat are light & stiff (the case in carbon), more the boat are reactive & nervous. It's good think because you put more energy in speed but the other side of the medal it's it give to you more water feedback and you need a better balance to drive it in downwind condition.
I noticed I'm not sponsored by Custom Kayak (but I'm open :P )!
If you search in youtube "reunion downwind paddling again" you can saw the Focus in good downwind condition, when were it work well !
Sylvain

More
10 years 11 months ago #16426 by Choco32
Replied by Choco32 on topic Re: Custom Kayaks Focus
Hi Sylv

In your youtube reunion downwind video, is the ski your paddling full carbon? Also I noticed a bit of water in the cockpit, how does the drainage go?
Looked like a good session!
Cheers

More
10 years 11 months ago #16432 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Re: Custom Kayaks Focus
Sylvain, Why do you say 14kg for the Hybrid?

I also thought it was 14kg, but more recently I heard 15kg.

Choco, I have been in boats that drain better, and boats that drain worse.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16433 by sylv1
Replied by sylv1 on topic Re: Custom Kayaks Focus
Hi Choco, the cockpit was full of water because a white cap come aboard a few seconds before the sequence of the video, the bullet scupper was very effective (more than the paddler ;) ) the cockpit was empty very quickly.
About the weight Rico, all of the boat of all the brands have a weight variation around 10%.
Cheers.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by sylv1.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24581 by JC
Replied by JC on topic Custom Kayaks Focus
Are paddlers in SA and elsewhere still liking and using the Focus ski (now made by Point Watersports, I gather)? Thanks.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24601 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Custom Kayaks Focus
JC. No, I was disappointed by the quoted weights of the boats being about 2kg less than the actual product, and was not overly impressed with the workmanship of the boats I received.

That boat has sailed, and I'm very happy on my Fenn Swordfish S.

To compare, Swordie is more stable, slower on flat water due to the increased rocker, but more fun for me on the waves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC

Latest Forum Topics