Fastest SLSC Spec Ski Over Long Distance?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14246 by Puffpaddler
Was wondering if there's been any research into and/or opinions on which SLSC spec ski is the fasted over long distance. We mainly cover long distances now on our specs with my club and I want one that runs well and punches into the wind with minimal resistance. A mate has a new Gibbons GRX that he raves about for these qualities and I know Fenn have a new spec. Basically I want my Fenn Elite in a spec ski! Any ideas thanks guys?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14266 by richardh
Hi Puffpaddler.

Hayden made a lightweight PR2 that competed in the Molokai last year and did very well - obviously the paddler played his part!

When we grabbed a demo PR2, we managed some pretty impressive top-speeds for our (very) average paddlers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puffpaddler

More
11 years 5 months ago #14271 by Vin
I've recently bought a Hayden PR2 and it runs as well as my EPIC V10 in small / mid chop. The EPIC runs better on tiny wind blown chop. The PR2 is the best ski I've paddled into the surf / wind the way it pops up. The PR2 is heavier, but that's always the case with Spec Skis.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14281 by dazski
I recently purchased a pr2 light weight spec 6 months ago is great on flat and downwind (fast)...Being use to ocean skis i find it not as comfortable on long paddles as the os.Definately two different animals :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #14290 by Nige
One point that seems to have been overlooked in the discussions: if its lightweight then its not a SLSA spec ski, which has a minimum weight of 18kg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puffpaddler, GSPT, gbowd3

More
11 years 5 months ago #14352 by Puffpaddler
Thanks for the feed back guys. Took out a mate's Gibbons GRX a few days ago. It ran like a gem...could be the goer.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14356 by richardh
Hi Puffpaddler.

Good luck, please let us know how you go.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14359 by boss
Have you taken the fenn spec ski for a paddle .???I am hoping to get out for a trail.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14367 by Pete
On my 3rd gibbons, but gotta say took a mates Stealth ski out and its the closest ski I ever have had to my ocean ski as so responsive,rigid and surfable. Really well made too on the Gold Coast and good for long hauls.

And the comment re weight is correct you cant compare the two in that way as its like a V8 Supercar vs a F1, both fast but each with their own positives and negitives.

But if you like playing in waves ( like I do ) or rough conditions off the beach its worth having both as from tough lessons learnt I go out once and I come in once on a ocean ski - wanna play get a speccy as thats what the added weight gives you

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puffpaddler, gbowd3

More
11 years 5 months ago #14373 by RedBack
I've paddled the latest Gibbons, Stealth, Dolphin, Vajda and Hayden.

Of those I found the Hayden to be the quickest, followed by the Stealth and Gibbons.

I'm on the small side, so I can't comment on the relative performance of those skis with a larger paddler on board.

I haven't paddled a Charger (Advantage) but I suspect they're pretty quick too.

I now own a Hayden and regularly see peaks of 15+kph on the Garmin during short sprints on flat water (and I'm over 50 years old).

Clint and Marty go much quicker on the same ski!

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14481 by Puffpaddler
Yes I did take out the Fenn spec and it ran pretty well. I probably need a couple of goes in different conditions to gain a proper feel of it.

We have a Hayden PR2 at my club, too short for me, but the guys say it runs really well which is consistent with some of your comments. One strange thing with it is the venturi drains are very high and don't seem very efficient.

Most manufacturers seem to be embracing the technology ocean ski manufacturers have brought to the sport which is great.

One important factor for me being based in Sydney is that there are not many spec manufacturers here. Gibbons have a Sydney franchise but I would have to travel to Qld for Stealth, Hayden, etc and pay expensive transportation costs.

At the end of the day it seems to me different skis have different pros and cons.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Very much appreciated.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Puffpaddler.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14505 by JIMWA
Hi Puffpaddler, you're dead right there all skis have different pros & cons. I believe there's really not that much difference at all between the different makes available, it's more about what the paddler finds comfortable and the ability/skill of the paddler themselves.

I agree that all of the makes mentioned so far are very well made and very fast in the hands of the right paddler.

In terms of a ski being fast over long distance vs short distance, I believe the main difference really is about paddler comfort. A lot of guys could jump on a lot of different models and paddle fast over a 4-5 minute SLSA race and put up with being uncomfortable, but being uncomfortable and trying to paddle 15-20+kms with a numb foot or leg is just plain horrific. That's something you'll just have to experiment with and find out what model suits yourself.

Can I also throw in a manufacturer that hasn't been mentioned yet, very much worth a look if you're located in Sydney is Interceptor in Newcastle. They're a very popular model around the Newcastle and Central Coast areas and several NSW & Aussie titles have been won on Interceptors.

I train in a group around Newcastle and in our group you'll find Interceptors, GRX's, Dolphin D1's and 580's, Stealths. That's just to say, different strokes for different folks etc......

More
10 years 4 months ago #19132 by FatPaddler
For those in Sydney, there's now a NSW Hayden rep down Cronulla way that has demo skis available and can organise orders from their Qld factory. You can also find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HaydenSurfCraftNSW

FatPaddler.com - Paddling the world's best waterwa.... hey! Sausages!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #19134 by damien17
Fastest SLSA Spec ski would more than likely be the Ozflyte R18. Designed specifically for Long Distance SLSA racing. Completely adjustable, "Super Suka" venturi system, no flex footboard. Super strong, Super fast.

The MAXX is also an excellent option for round the cans and also LD downwind paddling.
Attachments:

More
10 years 4 months ago #19154 by Draftbuster
I quite like the look of the ozflyte boats. But! Build quality has been a huge issue. All the ones I've seen are falling apart. And to be fair they are being built by different manufacturer. But a mate of mine has a new MAX and it has a worse turning circle then my 15 year old Hayden. I've paddled it. Really nice. But you would think a brand new boat would be ready to race. This boat has big issues with its steering. Which is a shame. Because it looks the goods. And when your over a thousand Kms away from the manufacturer after sales becomes a bit difficult. And this would go for any ski purchased.

Latest Forum Topics