2 ski's or double ski?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14326 by smilicus
Hello Guys

Me again. Still new to surfski and still asking a lot of questions.

Since I started paddling a few weeks back, my wife has taken a liking to surfski and hogs my surfski some times although it is to big for her.

I see there is a lot of chatter on the forum of single ski's but not much regarding double ski's.

Since my wife and I do everything together (MTB, WindSurf, Hiking, etc) as a couple, it got me thinking of a double ski rather than two singles.

What is your views on double ski's and how does it relate to single ski's on stability, speed, etc.

We are still beginners, but just looking down the line to all the alternatives.

Happy paddling

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14327 by antonsa
Replied by antonsa on topic Re: 2 ski's or double ski?
My call would be get a single ski and a second hand double ski (Fenn XT. Then as you get more into it get a second single ski.

A double is far easier to paddle if one of the paddlers is competent. They are great for bringing novices into the sport.

Have fun

Anton

More
11 years 5 months ago #14350 by smilicus
Replied by smilicus on topic Re: 2 ski's or double ski?
Thanks for the input Anton. We are looking at getting a second ski (single or Double) beginning 2013....so just picking the guys on the forums brains on which would make more sense...

Would really like to go for the double, since then the one don't need to wait for the other when out on the water.

Any other thoughts from the guys out there? Know Rob has been out in a double through Millers Run - would love to know what he thinks.

See you guys on the water

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 5 months ago #14386 by Kneewall49
Smilicus, I'll vote for a double over a second single.

We do have a single each anyway but have always had a double as well. Doubles are such a different experience, that until you have one you will never know.

We use our double, as you mentioned to 'stay together' in possible when on singles due to the variation in speed between the wife and I.

thing is that my wife can also take the double out with her girlfriends for the same reason.

Racing the double with your wife girlfriend or mate is an additional advantage. If the weather's not optimal for a single a double usually is. racing a double over a short course with your wife's fun, or over the long course with a mate is a hoot.

Remember you'll always be further up the front when in a double so it feels good too.

We have had spec doubles, Fenn and now an Epic. Both the Fenn (XT) and the Epic are great double boats, but of course it can be a personal thing. We find the Epic a better boat to handle in rough ocean conditions, and the Fenn probably a bit faster in the flat.

I actually find the Epic more comfortable, but my wife preferred the fenn for comfort.

I think a double boat is the best fun for investment, but you'll need a car or ute with a long roof line to carry them.

Remounting isn't anymore difficult than a single, best done together, ie not one in then the other.

any other questions please ask

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

More
11 years 5 months ago #14414 by smilicus
Hello Neil/Kneewall49

Thanks for the reply and advice. However, I am in the charity sector, so we will probably look at a older double ski, like a Hammer double - funds a bit tight.

After this weekend surfski, I have convinced my wife that our second ski should rather be a double than a single by naming all the tips , advice, pros, etc that I got from you and others on the forum.

I will definitely still ask a lot of questions as we go forward

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 4 months ago #14869 by smilicus
The wife and I tried out a double hammer head today at Gordon's Bay. Was great fun. We were also able to balance out each others short comings - my balance and her paddling strength.

So double ski it is. Looking at a second hand double Dorado? What do you guys think about the Dorado Double?

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 4 months ago #14882 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re: 2 ski's or double ski?
Have you tried a Fenn Xt double, incredibly stable and there are plenty around so should not have any issues finding one second hand at a good price.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

More
11 years 3 months ago #14909 by smilicus
Thanks Moll.

Yes, I hear the Fenn Xt Double is a great boat, but so far I have not yet come across one me and the wife could try.

Belated Merry Xmas to all...time to hit the water to work off the Xmas Dinner :laugh:

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
11 years 3 months ago #14911 by AR_convert
I will be shopping for a stable family double this summer.

I have paddled a Fenn XT with my 11 y/o daughter (passenger) in the back and had a ball racing in a small local race, while we definately felt out of our comfort zone in the Carbonology Viva II, an out and out race double.

Could those with double skis please rate those that they have tried from most to least stable and the relative speed.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #14928 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Re: 2 ski's or double ski?
I have a Burton wedge double (not the 'ultimate', or pro version). My 100 pound daughter and I (200+ pounds) have a very difficult time staying upright. I have no balance problems on my single Stellar SE, Twogood Chalupski, Huki S1-X, and XT. My daughter for the most part stays dry on these singles as well. Not sure what the problem is, but it seems to float very high in the water, like it needs more weight on it. Maybe I should forget my post Christmas diet...
Are doubles typically harder to balance? I have only tried it 2-3 times, so I am a total beginner to doubles.
Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Latest Forum Topics