Honcho Guru vs Genius RS

• Embat
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #15131 by Embat
Honcho Guru vs Genius RS was created by Embat
Hello friends, I'm interested about the difference between this two skis, the Honcho Guru and the Genius RS. Two models of Knysna Racing Kayaks in the same style. I'm interesting about the quality, glide, stability,...
Thanks and ... sorry for my english, I read goog but write very bad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15132 by jbrings
Both are entry level surfskis built in South Africa. The Honcho Guru is no longer being built as the company no longer exists anymore. The Guru is quite a nice boat, reasonably fast, comfortable with good turning capability. The cockpit seat is very deep - or shall we say the sides are quite high - making re-entry quite challenging for many people. The venturi drain is not that good - always a bit of water in the footwell. The Genius RS is a much newer boat design offering more stability than the Guru. Making it a boat for all conditions. The double venturi drain also makes for good water draining. The gunwales are also much lower making re-entry much easier. I would also say that the Knysna Racing build quality is better than the original Honcho built Gurus.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15368 by na guardia
Hi, friends of surfski. Reading this post I have a doubt. Knysna Racing Kayaks is actually the owner of Honcho trademark? The Guru is now on sale/production or the news skis Genius finish the production of Guru/Guevara.
Another question, the difference of quality of the first Honcho original and the last production of the same models by Knysna Racing Kayaks.
Thanks a lot.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15370 by [email protected]
I just called the folks at Knysna Racing Kayaks, and:

- When Honcho shut down a while ago, Knysna obtained the moulds for their skis.
- Knysna haven't made any Honcho boats for about a year.
- No-one is building any more Honcho skis.

I guess Knysna have a great range of Genius skis all the way from beginner (RS) through beginner/intermediate (CLK) through intermediate (Blu) to elite (G20 - for small people and G40 for tall people). And they have a double (G42).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago #15378 by na guardia
Thank you very much for your reply Robin. I own a Honcho Guru (manufactured by Knysna Racing Kayaks) for about two years and I am very satisfied with it. I was intrigued to know what had happened to the mark, as I read the first units manufactured by Honcho (Fyve Andrew, I think that was the factory owner) came out with poor quality and much improved after the skis KRK. So I Honcho comets is history, so the Gurus, Guevaras, ... and are almost pieces of collectibles. You know if it came into production many units and if they had good acceptance in the market?
Thank you very much for your answers.

Latest Forum Topics