Is there a table of ski stability rankings ?

More
10 years 7 months ago #18312 by uk_exile
Paddled the Surf 70 on mirror flat lake. Felt quite stable, certainly not tippy. However did notice it had strong tendancy to rail over if rapidly applied large rudder angle. Didn't if applied it slowly (2sec for full range). My multisport kayak doesn't do that. Is it the different between trailing rudder and rudder being forward & under ?
Contrary to reviews the turning circle didn't seme that horrible either. Of course it's turning & stability will feel very different in sea.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18313 by AR_convert

uk_exile wrote: Contrary to reviews the turning circle didn't seme that horrible either. Of course it's turning & stability will feel very different in sea.....

Were you traveling at race pace when testing turning circle?

I made the mistake of testing a cut down rudder (3in) at a lazy 8km/hr then finding at 12+km/hr the ski wouldn't turn inside the width of the river we were racing in :( so I keep that one for races without u turns now ;)

Be careful assessing any boat on dead flat surfaces, I once bought a kayak after trying on dead calm water, no problem....took it out where was a long period wave of only a few inches and couldn't stay in the thing :laugh:

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18321 by uk_exile
Seemed ok at various speeds. Wasn't as high a 12+kph though ! More like 10, perhaps 11

Latest Forum Topics