finn multisport or similar

• travs
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #19525 by travs
finn multisport or similar was created by travs
Hi just wondering what people think about the finn multisport as an upgrade from a basic recreational kayak they seem pretty capable but there isn't much info apart whats from the manufacturer.

I want to upgrade to something faster but still pretty indestructible for river and open water use.

Just interested in peoples thoughts as far as quality,speed value or if anyone has any other craft recommendations.

Happy New Year everyone!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by travs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19526 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic finn multisport or similar
Hi Travs,
The Endorfinn shares the same hull and is a surf ski with the option of under slung rudder, stern rudder or both. This may be a better option for open water. I believe that the newer ones have a Venturi.

I've been using an Endorfinn in the (often white water!) Avon Descent for a number of year as they are a good size for bigger guys and pretty indestructable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: travs

• travs
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19527 by travs
Replied by travs on topic finn multisport or similar
Thanks for the reply Richardh,

Been finding it impossible to get any other info on these kayaks till now.

Probably should have mentioned im only a wee man at 166cm do you think the endorfinn would still be suitable for smaller paddlers.

Thanks again!

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #19528 by AR_convert

travs wrote: Probably should have mentioned im only a wee man at 166cm do you think the endorfinn would still be suitable for smaller paddlers.

Thanks again!

Both the Finn Endorfinn and Spirit Surf Ski (both plastic skis of a similar size) are popular beginner skis for ladies but will take much bigger people due to their width and stability. Either would fit you no problems.

www.finnkayaks.com/index.php/home-mainme...id=22&category_id=26
www.spiritpaddle.com.au/content.asp?cId=3&pId=6

I don't know where you are but here in Perth where they are made you can pick up 2nd hand ones quite cheap (albeit very well used with some having done our white water marathon race, the Avon Descent).

As far as speed goes don't expect to be able to paddle one much over 10km/hr for any distance, they like to cruise at around 9-10km/hr.

While being heavy the standard layup is very sturdy and will last forever with proper care.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19533 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic finn multisport or similar
Following on from Brett's reply, both manufacturers also make shorter surf skis. The Finn Afinnity and Spirit CTR.

The shorter length makes storage and transport easier, although I don't believe that thay are available with an underslung rudder.

• travs
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19542 by travs
Cheers for the info guys definitely food for thought. Think the afinnty and ctr both look like a good starting point not gonna break the bank and as you say if looked after should last for ever. Thanks again!

More
10 years 2 months ago #19555 by superman7
Probably should have mentioned im only a wee man at 166cm do you think the endorfinn would still be suitable for smaller paddlers.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19558 by Smoky000
Replied by Smoky000 on topic finn multisport or similar
Travis I can wholeheartedly recommend the Finn Multisport. I have owned every model of Finn from Affinity up to Molokai, a Spirit CTR, and have paddled many a PRS. Although I now mainly paddle a composite ski, my Finn Multisport remains on my racks as my "do everything" boat, and I'll never sell it. Mind you, if I were only able to own ONE boat, it would be a Spirit PRS.

Things to consider:
If you're just paddling for recreation, the Affinity (slightly faster) or Spirit CTR (slightly more stable) are fine.
If you're likely to try racing, go straight for the Finn Endorfinn, Multisport, or Spirit PRS. The Finn Molokai is probably too big a step right now.
The standard weight plastic boats are very heavy. Consider the lightweight versions.
The Multisport has a large cockpit. As you're small, you'll want to add thigh braces for good boat control (the Australis Gecko thigh braces are much nicer than the Finn ones).
If you're ever likely to paddle open water on your own, go for the sit on tops instead of the sit in craft.

As you've probably seen, all these craft are very popular in WA. The best bet is to try as many as you can.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19562 by he82342
Replied by he82342 on topic finn multisport or similar
Where abouts are you Travis -- I'm in Perth and have an unloved and bashed spirit spec ski in my gagarge -- you're welcome to borrow it for a few days if you want

More
10 years 2 months ago #19563 by he82342
Replied by he82342 on topic finn multisport or similar
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• travs
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #19567 by travs
Hi He82342 that would have been awesome im in melbourne, it seems like all the second hand finns are for sale in wa obviously cause of the avon. Thanks for the super kind offer

More
10 years 2 months ago #19568 by Bolge
Replied by Bolge on topic finn multisport or similar
Hi Travis
Great all rounder and tough as nails. I bent mine to a 45 degree angle last Sept in a rapid and simply turned it over and jumped on it until straight and continued on through the remaining 30km of the Avon Valley. As others have said it will take super human effort to keep these over 10km/hr for any length of time and expect to see Spirit PRS skis overtake you. Get the light weight version if you have a choice

Latest Forum Topics