Classic Wooden Surfski

More
10 years 3 months ago #19547 by NedRex
For some time I have been searching for a surfski from the 1960's. As a 17 year old, I'd had so much fun riding these in the waves at Point Addis near Anglesea in Victoria with Reg Brinsmead.

One was found in the "Hard Rubbish" near Sale in Victoria but it was well and truely rotten and beyong recovery.

I carefully disassembled this old surfski and have now recreated a new "Classic Wooden Surfski" using the patterns from the old surfski.

I took it out for the first time during the Christmas break and the ride in the Pt Leo rollers was everything that I hoped for.
Hope you like the pics.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19552 by Colnagodreaming
Beautiful job. Well done and thanks for the pics

More
10 years 3 months ago #19557 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Classic Wooden Surfski
Wow! Nice work!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 years 1 month ago #19983 by spidennis
Replied by spidennis on topic Classic Wooden Surfski
Fantastic! Would you share your plans for this? Such as on the Duckworks website ? www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/plansindex.htm

More
10 years 1 month ago #20005 by NedRex
Replied by NedRex on topic Classic Wooden Surfski
Thanks for the complements.

Unfortunately I build these surf-skis from templates that I developed from an original that I disassembled. So I have no drawings or plans to Share.

I am nearing the completion of #2 for my son and it is comming together better than the one I built for myself. I love working with Paulonia. It is a great material for strength and lightness . I maintain the overall stiffness and strength of the surfski by adopting an aircraft structural approach to the spa, ribs, rails and longerons. The 4mm marine ply skins are scarf jointed at 5 degrees with a tool that I designed and made for the job.

It helps that I am an engineer in the aerospace industry.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20010 by ergometer
Replied by ergometer on topic Classic Wooden Surfski
Thanks for sharing it, keep updating such type of information in future too.

Latest Forum Topics