Think Uno V Epic V12

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23111 by ninHendo
Hey guys,

I raced K1s all through high school. But that 5 years ago, and I want to get back into paddling.

I love the idea of surf skis and have done the smallest amount, but want to get into by getting a boat. I have seen a Think Uno Elite for sale that has caught my attention. But also a black tipped V12 for a few hundred more. I was wondering which was the better boat, speed and build quality?

I worry that the v12 would be heavier since it is glass, and therefor slower and I would want to sell it sooner, and upgrade, but I love the look of it. I am hoping paddle in the ocean, and move into some long (under 25km) racing. So I am hoping to learn on the same boat I race.

I am 182cm and 72kg if that helps.

Thanks again,
Tyler.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by ninHendo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23133 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic Think Uno V Epic V12
If you're 72kg, then both these ski's maybe too much volume & hence get bounced around. You might consider low volume options like Epic V10L (new or old model), FENN Spark or new Elite S, Stellar SES (new or old model). If you've got great balance, then maybe a Nelo. Bottom line, you've got to try them all for 1 or 2 sessions and your first ocean ski won't be you're last :-)

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: ninHendo

More
9 years 3 months ago #23142 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Think Uno V Epic V12
I think those boats are pretty similar in terms of potential speed on both flat and in the waves. lighter boats are nicer, but the difference once underway in the water is not nearly as great as what you notice carrying it to and from the car. The Think Uno Max has significantly less secondary stability than v12, and the original Think Uno (non-max version) has even less than the Max. So the V12 will be more forgiving as you learn how to paddle in the bump. Probably the most important factor is comfort. See what bucket fits best.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
9 years 3 months ago #23143 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Think Uno V Epic V12

zachhandler wrote: I think those boats are pretty similar in terms of potential speed on both flat and in the waves. lighter boats are nicer, but the difference once underway in the water is not nearly as great as what you notice carrying it to and from the car. The Think Uno Max has significantly less secondary stability than v12, and the original Think Uno (non-max version) has even less than the Max. So the V12 will be more forgiving as you learn how to paddle in the bump. Probably the most important factor is comfort. See what bucket fits best.

I definitely don't agree that the Uno Max or the Uno have poor secondary stability. Anyone I have demo an Uno or Uno Max for the first time comments on how surprised they are by its stability, particularly after reading that it is a tippy ski on forums such as this.

ninHendo, the best advice as always with these things is to go paddle both skis. Then you'll know which one feels best, is quicker, and offers the stability you are looking for in a new craft. Coming from a K1 background, the transition to an elite ski shouldn't prove to be too much of an issue. Good luck, and enjoy your time on a surfski, you'll have a ball.

Cheers.

Latest Forum Topics