Ozflyte Pro for beginner/intermediate

More
9 years 3 months ago #23146 by Jimmy
After paddling a TK1 kayak some years ago I am keen on getting in to ski paddling. Like many on the forum, I have been looking for a second hand XT or V10 Sport but I am also considering a stable spec ski. In one of his many excellent YouTube videos, Julian from Paddle2fitness recommends the Ozflyte Pro. The only problem is I have found it very difficult to find info on Ozflyte skis online. Does anyone else have a view about the Ozflyte Pros's suitability as a an intermediate ski or know where I can source further info on it? (Why doesn't Ozflyte have a decent website?) Also, any recommendations for other similar flat bottom/stable/adjustable spec skis?

There are a couple of Ozflyte Pros for sale at the moment on geartrade.com.au - they look like good deals as long as you like pink:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23151 by damien17
The Ozflyte shapes were taken over by DD3 a couple of years ago. They have remained being made in Australia. Have a look at the range on the DD3 paddlesports facebookpage and you will see the Magnum (formerly Ozpro- with modifications)
check it out :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmy

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23158 by Goldcoastkiwi
Hi
I have had quite a few ocean skis over the years , and have recently purchased one of the new Fenn LS spec skis , and the up shot is I love it! There are 2 seat heights available , with the low seat one offering greater stability.
I have found a new level of excitement in the waves with this ski , and now paddle in conditions that I would have found unthinkable before! and yes I do fall off more as a result but there are ridiculously easy to remount,
Having an adjustable footplate is also a huge advantage.
I would seriously recommend one to any paddler looking for a great all round ski
They are winning races all round the world with this ski , so Fenn have designed a real winner
It sounds like your are on the Gold Coast , so give Amanda Rankin at Paddleperfection a call

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Goldcoastkiwi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent009

More
9 years 3 months ago #23159 by Jimmy
Thanks for the responses. The DD3 Magnum and Australis both look like great skis and the Fenn spec ski provides another option to think about.

I was looking at second hand ski to give me a chance to learn and work out what suited me and what I would actually spend most of my time doing before making a major investment in a new ski. This obviously limits my options but watching a youtube video recently about how the stability of a ski effects technique (
) I have decided to be a bit more selective even if it costs more.

Thanks again for the advice.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23160 by Agent009
Hi Goldcoastkiwi!

I am also on the gold coast and have narrowed my list down to a few skis including the Fenn LS.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. At 18kg, how do you find carrying this ski down to the water? Is it quite difficult?

2. Apparently the Fenn Tarpon is very similiar to the Fenn LS but even more stable. The Tarpon is about $500 more expensive. Have you tried the Tarpon and how does it compare to the LS?

3. Would you recommend the LS for a beginner? I am upgrading from a kayak and have never paddled a ski before. With the deeper seat (which I would go for), how stable is this ski really?

4. Oceanpaddler website has this ski listed as $2500. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and is that a good price or can it be done cheaper?

5. The other skis I'm now looking at is the Hayden FatBoy and Dolphin D Rider. Fatboy gets pretty good reviews so I'm also considering that. I can't find anything on the D Rider. Have you got any feedback on these two skis and the comparison to the Fenn LS?

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions!!

Cheers
Agent009

More
9 years 3 months ago #23161 by Goldcoastkiwi
Hi Agent009

I find the weight quite manageable , it is easy to put it on your shoulder , or carry it using the foot straps or grab handle, of course all spec skis by nessecity are 18 kgs.
I didn't bother trying a Tarpon , as the LS was getting great press , and it was always going to be much more stable than the ocean skis I am used to.I would say that it is much more stable than the intermediate skis such as the Swordfish , V10S , SEI etc.
The 18 kgs also helps with stability as well.
I think it would a great ski for someone transitioning from a kayak, particularly the low seat model, It has got huge secondary stability, and if you do have a swim it is easy to get back in!
I wouldn't consider a Tarpon , and I imagine the LS has probably all but made it redundant in the Fenn line up.
The LS will have great resale value , and being adjustable will suit a huge audience.
The retail price is a bargain , I really think it represents amazing value for money, and it is hard enough for retailers in niche sports to survive...so pay the $2500 and support our sport!!
( I am now back in NZ and the Fenn skis are a similar price here.)
The LS is a ski that you will grow with , not grow out off!

Sorry I don't have any comparitive information on the other Skis you mentioned.

I'm about to knock off work and go for a paddle , and I know the LS will put a smile on my face!

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent009

More
9 years 3 months ago #23163 by Agent009
Thanks mate! Sounds like the LS has jumped to the top of my wish list :)

Enjoy the paddle!!!

More
9 years 3 months ago #23164 by Agent009
Sorry one more question, I also read that some people were ordering the LS at a lighter weight 33 pound (15kg) instead of 39 pound (18kg).

Obviously this rules it out as a "spec" ski...however, I don't plan on doing any SLSC races so that suits me ok.

I just wonder if going down in weight would make it LESS durable in the wavezone?

Thanks again mate.

Latest Forum Topics