2015 Stellar SR

More
9 years 2 months ago #23316 by Funny Old Fellow
Replied by Funny Old Fellow on topic 2015 Stellar SR
Well, I took the new SR out for a test paddle on the weekend. I found the new bucket fitted better and provided better contact (I'm 6' and 120kg) than the older SR bucket. However, I did find it a little more tippy that when I paddled the old SR. Mind you I last paddled before Christmas and am still a novice, so that is probably not a really good subjective opinion on stability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23400 by TrickyRik
Replied by TrickyRik on topic 2015 Stellar SR
Simon might be best placed to answer this one.. just wondering how much stability difference there is between the new SR and the SEI now as I've heard the new SR is more tippy than the old one. I have an excel SEI and must admit I'm struggling (Experienced novice might be best way to describe my ability ) in the wind driven chop we get in the uk, I get tipped out quite often and have struggled to remount a few times when rough, however, when conditions are flat I'm totally fine and love it except for missing the fun of riding small swells..
My other ski is a bluefin which is super stable in anything, but it's quite heavy and I tend to avoid using it as it's not helping me learn balance skills (good for paddle stroke technique though) .. for me there's a too big of a gap between them stability wise and I suspect at my level right now the SR would have been the better choice...
Half considering trading the SEI in for the new model SR but if the stability difference isn't massive between them there's no point I guess..

More
9 years 2 months ago #23403 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic 2015 Stellar SR
TR, I haven't paddled the Blue fin - So I have no idea where it really sits.
Now having paddled the new SR (in about 15 downwinds (ranging 14 - 27knots) there is a small gap between the two model SR but it is still a jump (for us 'C' grade paddlers) to the SEI...So much so that I haven't paddled my SEI in the last 30 outings.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 2 months ago #23407 by topswimmer
Replied by topswimmer on topic 2015 Stellar SR
Hi TR
i've got a beautiful NK Squall i could swap you!!
Stick with it buddy you'll master it!
See you on the water soon (if i ever get any time) :( :(

More
9 years 2 months ago #23442 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic 2015 Stellar SR
HI TR,

Bit of a dilemma isn't it? :unsure:

Went from a newish V10S Performance (2nd gen) to an Excel SR. Love the seating and pedal arrangement of Stellars, suits me to a T. However, for me I found that this was a backward step. Only in that I could not get the speed out of the SR hull as I could with the V10S in flatwater or offshore. Even though the V10S was heavier, it out performed the SR...just. And in a distance race, the 0.5 to 1 kph top speed difference showed in the results table.

This being the case and since most races I compete in are enclosed waters or harbours, I traded the SR for an Excel SEI. Tippier?.. yes it is a bit, but much more faster and responsive. My advice... stick with the SEI mate, it will all come together.

On a couple of occasions over the last week or so I have gotten into the "Zone" on the SEI where everything comes together. Catch, stroke, rotation and cadence. I am no elite paddler in any way, shape or form, but the SEI is starting to get me slotted into and getting me feeling comfortable that I am in fact becoming an "Intermediate" paddler.

Cheers,
Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
9 years 2 months ago #23458 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic 2015 Stellar SR
I paddle and race both an early model SR and an SES. The SR is my "go to" boat whenever conditions look doubtful as I reckon I could paddle it in just about any condition. Recently I was considering replacing it with (maybe) an SEI, but looking at the newest SR I reckon it'll be the next ski. BTW on my SR, because I can give it 100% effort all the time without any consideration to balance, my race times are very similar between the SES/SR; in fact my fastest time on my home course was set on the SR (and my ability to easily washride quicker craft).

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
9 years 2 months ago #23459 by TaffyMick
You need to put on a few extra kilos and then the SEi won't be a problem Owen. You can use my 112kg as a role model to aim for digger ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: owenw

More
9 years 2 months ago #23470 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic 2015 Stellar SR
Thanks Mick - you are indeed a generous bloke!

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23847 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic 2015 Stellar SR
Both sold

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Simon Haywood. Reason: update

More
8 years 11 months ago #23857 by TaffyMick
Okay, bit the bullet and bought a new 2015 Stellar SR in the Excel layup. Paddled one a few weeks ago and had one of those "this is perfect" moments. Wesley Echols has carried out a comprehensive review of the 2015 SR and I fully agree with everything he has said about the new SR.

Having previously owned and raced an earlier model SR, also in the Excel layup, the difference is literally chalk and cheese... This is not the same boat!

This ski is so much better in all aspects. It is faster due to a number of reasons such as much less volume, cut outs that enable much, much closer catch, seat moved forward a fair bit that helps you pick up runs and chop so much easier.

But the most impressive thing...it glides. does not slow down between strokes. Since most of my racing is inshore, estuaries and rivers I think this will be quite an advantage.

Someone asked earlier in this thread "is it tippier than the previous SR"? Cannot comment on that as I simply cannot remember. Compared to my SEI it is much more stable, yet is just as fast. Stellar has got it right in my opinion and has now got two Intermediate boats. Without a doubt the SR will hold its own with the rest of the offerings from other manufacturers in this class of ski.

In conclusion, I did notice you sit slightly higher in the SR compared to the SEI and the back of the seat is slightly tighter and more rounded than the previous SR. Being a big unit at 112kgs I found the new SR to be a perfect fit and ticks all the boxes for me. Looking forward to a long and successful relationship with this ski.

Cheers,
Mick

Latest Forum Topics