Head to head Mako Elite vs Uno Max

More
8 years 8 months ago #24414 by sammclean
I've been thinking about selling my fibreglass Mako Elite and buying a carbon Uno Max or something similar.

So today I took both of them for a paddle on Sydney Harbour. Same route. Same distance. 6 seconds difference over 6km.

I'm not the fastest paddler (was averaging 10km/h). I'm guessing the Uno Max is designed for faster speeds like 12kmh? Has anyone else done direct comparisons like this (I've checked out Wesley's site).

Beside anything else, the Think was lovely to paddle and felt better on runners. Plus it looks awesome and it's super light to carry.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24415 by sammclean
Actually if I leave out the last split and just look at 5kms for each the Uno is 30seconds faster, which is pretty handy.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24417 by Newbflat
Just a suggestion and maybe not one your looking for. If your speed over 6k is 10kph then maybe your in the wrong ski. Elite skis don't really give you an advantage until you can drive them hard and that means being totally stable in them and can drive them at least over 11.5 kph. You might try something that is more stable and possibly easer to drive in the 10-11 kph range like a V10 sport, Evo II, Swordfish or SR.....
Nothing will will make you faster than being stable in a ski. Not just sort of stable but really stable.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Hansen, Fath2o, sammclean

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24418 by Fath2o
Sammclean, your going to do what you want, but, I have to agree with what Bill said. An SEI, V10 or ION might be worth a look.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Fath2o.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24421 by sammclean
Yeah good points both! Will fall back to an Evo2

More
8 years 8 months ago #24423 by jazzman
Sammclean , I think that's a sensible decision.
I come from a K1 background and when I decided to take up ski paddling , my first ski was a Mako. On flat water , no problems but on anything above moderate open water conditions , I really struggled.A friend of mine ( much more experienced ocean paddler) basically told me to leave my ego inside and get an Evo . So I ended up doing a lot more paddling and having a lot more fun.
I now also have an Uno Max which I paddle a lot but on big days where I live , the Evo 2 comes out. I'm a better paddler simply for making the switch down and if I was forced to choose one boat , I'd keep the Evo 2; simply knowing I can paddle that in anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sammclean

More
8 years 8 months ago #24425 by Fath2o
EVO II - an absolutely excellent all purpose ski IMO.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24428 by AR_convert

sammclean wrote: I've been thinking about selling my fibreglass Mako Elite and buying a carbon Uno Max or something similar.

If you are an estuary and protected waters paddler then yes, go for a Uno, the length and reduced rocker (compared to Fenn Elite) make it a flat water rocket and you are unlikely to get any stability issues.

If however you want to also race downwind in the open ocean I agree with what others have said, you may find the Uno a bit of overkill for your current speed and will perform better in a slightly more stable ski.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 8 months ago #24430 by Dean Gardiner
Hi Sammclean
Maybe worth trying a carbon version of the Elite S.
I know somewhere in Sydney that you can get a run on one. Haha.
Feedback has been very positive on this ski.
Regards
Dean

More
8 years 8 months ago #24441 by sammclean
Thanks dean I've heard good things. I will come by on Wednesday to see if I can take it for a paddle!

In other news I fixed a problem with my stroke yesterday and was able to maintain 11kmh for 10km so that's a big improvement

Latest Forum Topics