Genius and Eos skis?

More
8 years 2 months ago #25683 by zachhandler
A group of paddlers her in the USA is planning to order a number of K1 kayaks from Knysna and Kayak Centre. I noticed the Genius and Eos skis that they make. These skis are basically non-existent in the States. I saw some reviews from when they first came out about 5 years ago. Does anyone have any follow up experience on any of the skis from either of these makes?

Thanks!
Zach

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andis
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25686 by andis
Replied by andis on topic Genius and Eos skis?
Basically similar prices to Fenn and uknown properties. Heard that the new knysnas are better than the older ones that some experienced people thought were awful.
It's a gamble really, but some people like gambling...

More
8 years 2 months ago #25687 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Genius and Eos skis?
I have some experience with the zeplin and the eos 660.
The zeplin is the best boat on the water for bigger paddlers. I have 3 mates who all own them. Two are around the 120 kg mark ( for our American friends I think that translates to about 1000 lbs give or take a lb) and they are faster in all conditions on this boat. One, I used to be able to beat easily downwind, now on my carbon elite it depends on conditions. We are pretty even now. Another mate Pete, who is very comfortable in the ocean, paddles the elite when its too rough for normal humans to paddle. He reckons his Zeplin is as fast as any boat downwind when it gets bigger. The bigger it gets the faster it goes.

www.surfski.info/forum/1-general/7407-ep...entre-zeplin-ii.html

So if you want a good boat for the larger gent definitely get one of these.

The EOS 660 is a different kettle of fish. It was a sort of copy of the red7 pro. They basically added more rocker to make it more manoeuvrable. It never really worked. The red7 was faster and more stable. There are better boats on the market.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25691 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Genius and Eos skis?

zachhandler wrote: A group of paddlers her in the USA is planning to order a number of K1 kayaks from Knysna and Kayak Centre. I noticed the Genius and Eos skis that they make. These skis are basically non-existent in the States. I saw some reviews from when they first came out about 5 years ago. Does anyone have any follow up experience on any of the skis from either of these makes?

Thanks!
Zach

Even here in Western Australia where Knysna (what I own) and Kayak Centre Kayaks are the most popular flat water/river boats, their skis of recent years are rarely seen, that may or may not be any indication of what they are like. But if you are ordering boats to put in a container why not just get in touch with other South African manufacturers to load into the same container like Fenn or Carbonology?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #25694 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic Genius and Eos skis?
The Genius hull designs are great. (IMHO) Fast and stable for their speed, with good ergonomics. (I'm talking about the G40 and GTO. Don't have any experience with the others)

Quality has been variable, but as of late it's been better.

Source: I live 30km from the factory, and about 50% of the guys around here paddle Genius Skis. Have seen some unexplained breakages and some indestructibly durable ones.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #25695 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Genius and Eos skis?
Zach, is the RCBC gang organizing this or another group? Regardless it will be cool to get some SA boats into the midwest. Good luck with it

More
8 years 2 months ago #25700 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Genius and Eos skis?
I have to agree with Brett. If you are going to the trouble of loading a container, just get the best skis you can get.

Fenn Elite S is an elite ski with near intermediate stability. The best ski I have paddled. The Carbonology Flash is a great flat water boat, probably faster than the Elite S, reasonable stability and great in small to moderate downwind.

Might as well get the best boat you can get.

Latest Forum Topics