Fenn Swordfish for 55kg paddler

• andis
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #26023 by andis
Fenn Swordfish for 55kg paddler was created by andis
What do you think? Will she be too buoyant?
She loves her v10l but needs a second boat in a different location. She can handle small to moderate conditions in the v10l.
Hates my v10s, can't control the motion and is unstable in the chop.

Alternatively new Nelo 520 (where is the rocker?) or fenn spark (maybe not quite ready for it).

Not really looking towards other brands due to limited availability here (stellar/knysna/carbonology) or economics (think).

Any views?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26024 by Kayaker Greg
I'm not sure but I've been happy with my Swordfish between 72-76kg, however I've been loosing some weight and now that I'm 70kg and dropping I've just begun to notice the Swordfish (Carbon) just starting to chuck me around a bit and feel a bit corky in some conditions, I've always been more than happy in it otherwise. 55kg is a lot lighter than me and I can see myself loosing another 5kg and I'm already looking forward to hopefully trying out the Nelo 560m.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26026 by Goldcoastkiwi
Hi , my wife had a swordfish carbon , and she is also 55 kgs , it was fine in flat conditions but was unquestionably corky for her in chop , rebound waves etc , we have now moved to another area where the conditions are generally less favourable , so she went with another Swordfish , but this time a vacuum glass model that is noticeably better in this regard , i'm 80 kgs and found the carbon model fine, so paddler weight does seem to be critical.

We are also considering a new Nelo 520 for the rough stuff for her...it would be good to get some feedback on that , as they haven't arrived here yet.

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

More
7 years 11 months ago #26030 by portmanm
Vajda Hawx 46 (or 43 if she's got good balance). Fenn Spark is a rocket for the smaller paddler but could be too skinny and challenging, maybe the Fenn Elite S. My wife is 55kg too, paddles a Stellar SEI but it seems you don't have access to these, pity, new SES and SEL would be other good options.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #26032 by Kayaker Greg
No, the SEL would be way to corky, I had to sell mine once I got under 76kg, was great until then but had to move to a Swordfish, I would expect the Fenn Elite S would also be to corky for a 55kg paddler seeing as it accommodates much larger paddlers too? Because its a ski that I have considered but been put off just because of its length and the fact I'm only getting lighter.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

• andis
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #26037 by andis
Replied by andis on topic Fenn Swordfish for 55kg paddler
Thank you for your suggestions. It appears that the swordfish should be at the bottom of my list...
I am too heavy for it (100kg +) while she is too light for it.
Looking forward to trying the new 520.

Latest Forum Topics