Custom Kayaks Icon

More
7 years 9 months ago #26339 by Vulch
Custom Kayaks Icon was created by Vulch
Hi guys,

I have bought a Custom Kayaks Icon surf ski - my first ski. Made in Durban, SA. Are Custom Kayaks still trading? Their site on the web is down. I am looking for a replacement rudder - mine is just a bit battered. Is there another one that will fit?

Perhaps a dumb question - there are some neoprene-covered straps that you tuck your feet under to get to the foot pedals - what are these for? They aren't close enough to my feet to allow me to pull against them when paddling. They are in the right place for my hand when carrying it on my shoulder... Something to do with levering the boat when surfing down waves? I live in the UK, so we don't really have waves unless you drive for hours to find them, then they are covered with surfers.

Cheers,

Vulch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #26340 by [email protected]
Mark Lewin, who used to own Custom Kayaks, and who made that boat, is still making skis.

He's now with a company called Point Watersport

You could leave a message there - or you could try his old email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The URL is still live, even if the site is not.

If you don't come right, give me a shout.

Those foot straps are to help you stay in the boat when you take a massive breaking wave over the nose as you go out through big surf...! I have horribly clear memories of paddling an ICON out through the surf at a place called Scottburgh on the Durban coast many years ago. The footstraps didn't help and twice I was smashed backwards right off the back of the ski. Suffice to say it was a sobering experience for a Cape Town paddler - like you we seldom go out through the kind of surf the Durban boys face on a daily basis!

Cheers, Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by [email protected].

More
7 years 9 months ago #26341 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Custom Kayaks Icon
Hi,

I will give him a call and let him know that you are looking for him.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
7 years 9 months ago #26342 by waterbornewarrior
Hi Vulch,

I make custom rudders. I'm in the USA, but have shipped a few to the UK. Contact me directly if you want to discuss.

surfski
at
gmail
.com

Don

Latest Forum Topics