First ski for OFB?

More
7 years 4 months ago #27530 by Armchair.Spaceman
As the title suggests looking for pointers to first ski choices for an OFB (54yo, 6'2, 138kg). I have about 5 years SUP racing, training, surfing and downwinding but some leg and knee issues have kept me off the water for the last 6 months and will for the foreseeable future. So I'm thinking I want to get onto a surf ski, to get me back onto the water and into some runners and stuff this coming summer. I live Bayside Melbourne, where local waters are often wind-affected and sloppy.

For a man my size I'm naturally gravitating towards wider, more stable craft with bigger buckets (stability over ability eh?) but I'd like to get onto a 'proper' ski, so which of these could float me?

Fenn Blue Fin
Epic V8
Stellar SR or S18S

or is there anything else I should be looking at?

All advice gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 4 months ago #27533 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic First ski for OFB?
I would go for the V8 from Epic: You might get a little "bored" with it on dead-flat water, but don't worry: you will make it up in confused seas, and small downwind conditions. If you were to get really bored with it (again, super doubtful) you will have a great ski for huge downwind conditions.

In other words: a great ski to get started in the world of surfskis - for your weight, and a fantastic ski to allow you to get out "no matter the conditions".

I just don't think you will be as happy with the versatility of the other two skis you inquired about.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
7 years 4 months ago #27537 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic First ski for OFB?
OFB ? the urban dictionary had a couple interesting definitions.....what's yours ?????

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #27538 by Armchair.Spaceman

Sandy wrote: OFB ? the urban dictionary had a couple interesting definitions.....what's yours ?????

Aaah Urban Dictionary...where would we be without it.

In my world OFB = Old Fat B*stard
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Armchair.Spaceman.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #27540 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic First ski for OFB?
Ok...5'9" 112kg. Have owned and / or paddled all of the skis you are looking at.

Fenn Bluefin... you will be too low in the water. At 112kg I was on the edge. Nearly 25kg more?...Dive, Dive, Dive (in any wave, swell, chop > 0.5m).

Bought a Stellar S18S over the Epic V8 after testing them both. Found the secondary stability of the S18S to be better option over the V8 in the rough stuff (for me). Both will take your weight.

Currently have a 2nd gen SR in Excel build. Great fit and a pleasure to paddle in most conditions. In saying that I have a friend of mine who is up around the 120kg mark and my 2gen SR was too tight for him. Got hold a 1gen SR and fits him perfectly. 138kg will be too much, therefore the S18S or V8.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by TaffyMick.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27544 by Simon Haywood
Replied by Simon Haywood on topic First ski for OFB?
Welcome to the 'Club' I'm same age & height a little bit less in weight ...I've owned both model V8's & V10sport series 1 (all in Ultra)...Currently own Stellar S18S (Excel) & 2 x SR (Ultra) for your size get an S18S (Excel) make sure it's the current model (has centre handles and twin venturi)- great boat and surprisingly quick - I can be competitive in a downwinder with my mates paddling fancier skis...Even knock them off every now and then.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 4 months ago #27550 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic First ski for OFB?
Think Ace sounds perfect for you.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27552 by OSS
Replied by OSS on topic First ski for OFB?
...and OCEAN OSS4 even better!!

New, innovative, different!

More
7 years 4 months ago #27559 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic First ski for OFB?
Hi AS,

I paddle on Port Philip Bay too... with Peak Adventure out of Port Melbourne 3+ times per week.

All of those boats you list are available to paddle with the squad, if you want to come down one morning or evening.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #27579 by Armchair.Spaceman
Thanks all - very helpful. 19' is about the limit of my storage space so should be looking at 18' boats from that pov as well.

(And thanks Feeny, i should have thought of Jarrad and Emma, had a little bit to do with them through the SUP connection)
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Armchair.Spaceman.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27580 by BrettD
Replied by BrettD on topic First ski for OFB?
Hi. I started paddling at a similar height and 125 kg. I have a think big eze (now the ace). At that weight the bucket was very tight on the hips. I am under 120 kg now and it fits well. At over 130 I think it would be tight fit. I have also paddled an epic v8 at various times and they seem bigger in the bucket. As always the best thing is to try it yourself.

More
7 years 4 months ago #27581 by Flowmaster
Replied by Flowmaster on topic First ski for OFB?
Epic V8 and Stellar S18S I know and are stable enough.
The Epic has more volume in the nose so for downwind short steep waves and your weight the V8 is + My weight is 89 kg and I find the Stellar S 18 S much faster and almost as stable as the V8. My advice would be demo and not in the flats if you can.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

Latest Forum Topics