How fragile is carbon vs fiberglass?

More
7 years 2 months ago #28198 by Canadasurfskiguy
Hi folks,
I'm looking to get into a faster boat. One option is a used uno max in the ultimate (super light) layup. It's got a couple repairs an approximately 1' by 3' soft spot on the hull and something by the rudder. I've also been told there may be a very small leak (drops of water) by the rudder.
I'm hesitating no only because this boat has some scary repairs but also because I'm wondering if me owning a carbon boat is a good idea if it's going to be more fragile. Thus my question, how much more fragile is a carbon boat over fiberglass boat?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 2 months ago #28202 by photofr
Is a carbon ski more fragile?
The truth is that neither is bullet proof, they will both scratch the exact same way because you are not supposed to place them on anything but soft pads or into the water.

Carbon skis will be lighter - so easier to transport - and that's a huge benefit often overlooked. Carbon skis will also be stiffer, therefore faster in terms of efficiency on the water.

I find carbon skis a little easier to repair than glass skis... but it's close to the exact same thing. Carbon is brittle though... is a huge impact makes it snap with more ease and looks bad. Glass, in that respect, will usually end up with less damage. Kevlar will have even less damage during a big impact, but it's a pain to repair.

You are however facing a completly different set of problems: current damages... the carbon ski you are thinking of getting MAY very well need rudder shaft repairs. I hope you are getting a great price on it, because that skis needs $200 of rudder repair.... and needs to dry completly beforehand.

Anything soft on you ski is usually a sign of water migrating - or about to. Most will need your immediate attention.

Regardless what ski you get, 95% of damages will take place away from the water. Take every precautions... your new ski can actually be stronger than the roo`f of most cars, but should you handle it with care, you can get years of enjoyment... threat it like an egg shell, even though it's nearly as strong as most turtle shells.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics