Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski

More
6 years 9 months ago #29113 by PharmGeek
My subject is intentionally self deprecating and a bit tongue in cheek.....

Back to that later.

I am as the subject shows, new to this sport. Have not yet even paddled a surf ski...only poly sea kayak to date.

After mulling for a while, talking to some others involved in the sport locally, talking to several dealers etc...also having read inordinate amounts on this forum and others...I have came to a few basic conclusions:

1) I don't have much money at this particular moment in time...ill have to wait at least a year before a massive money tree re-grows...thankfully, that is in the cards, and in time, I could afford a 2 oz kayak...joking aside, in a year or two, I could if I stuck with it, jump up to "upgrade" to a more advanced layup....what is my budget? Well..uhh....hmmm....I keep asking myself that...but have decided to be responsible and not spend what I do not have...so that put my TOTAL budget in at maybe 1600 dollars...this would include a paddle if my current one will not for now suffice.

2) Because of #1, it would appear a poly "surf ski" mostly is all that I can afford...this is not entirely true perhaps barring some amazing deal on a glass/composite boat...but if you factor in a good paddle? maybe not.

3) Unrelated, by next year, I will have some cash laying around thankfully and can upgrade to a more spendy option...so I could wait a year...but booooooo...no.

4) Local paddling conditions: I live in the center of Alabama....4 hours from the coast...I will get down there you can bethcya ever couple or few months to paddle for fun, but not for routine exercise/training....for that, the closest body of water I can paddle is a small river..it is pretty deep in the main channel, no risk of bottoming out...a bit further drive (45-70 min) are several large lakes I will frequent. All this is to say that "durability" is a concern...so a sort of "beater boat" to use for my training seems quite possibly "worth it".

5) My short term goals are to focus on technique, get some instruction perhaps, stability over speed and focus on my stroke, build up stamina, all that...oh and have some fun paddling around in this thing while I am at it.

6) I really cannot logistically make a huge trek across country to pickup a 1 thousand dollar - ish item...so a used purchase would need to likely be within maybe 4-5 hours really to make economic sense for me or even "tolerable" at this point...I would drive much further for a more elite ski if I ever get one.

All this said...I have found a couple options...over in Charleston, a dealer has a Nelo 510 for right at &1,000. That is about so far the only "used" poly surf ski I have found despite lurking now for only a short time on several forums, classifieds that deal in these types of kayaks, little in the way of listings for these...but perhaps I wait for a while....

on the other hand, the closest dealer to me (in Georgia) can put me into a new V7, include kickup rudder, and include full carbon small epic wing paddle and get me within my budget (I wont quote the price here).

I had picked up nearly for free on a used sea kayak purchase a 200-210 cm epic touring wing hybrid sort of paddle (green handle, "club carbon")...its a bit too short I believe...

As such, im likely to pull the trigger on the v7 and paddle, and get to paddling...come fall ill have to figure out how to stay warm, but got a few months here in AL before things cool down much.

Ok, im spilling out my thoughts here...be gentle...im totally new....I have humble short term goals...if I rapidly outgrow this kayak, and keep it as a more "recreational and training" instrument, I am ok with that....probably within 1 or so years ill have the budget in place to upgrade as needed.

I was told by a random internet commenter on a fb that I am purchasing a "wannabe surf ski"....this seems quite true in some respects, but seems unnecessarily pejorative lol :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #29114 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
Real quick,
V7 would be a great starter boat. Same for almost any of the poly skis. The V7 isnt a wannabe ski. Its a surfski. The guy on facebook is an idiot.

You'll need a wing paddle. I bought thisone on sale for stupid cheap and its a great starter paddle. Im very happy with it:

www.aliexpress.com/item/carbon-kayak-pad...e-bag/582942338.html

I trolled the internet for 2 years before I found a ski that was cheap and close enough to make sense. You could also look for a used V8 or other beginner boat too. Nothing wrong with going used if you want to go straight to a composite boat, that was my route.

Also, St Louis MO is only an 8 hour drive. I mention that because a ton of surf skis go through the rivermiles.com forum, home of the MR340 race. Stable skis are very popular ultra endurance boats for the MR340 and thus a lot of V7's, V8's, and the like go up for sale on the forum. Keep an eye on the forum and you'll see some good deals go though.

Anyways, good luck in your search. Search for boats OCD style and you'll find a good deal soonish. Paddleswap.com is also a good search engine.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29115 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
Let the fun begin.

I snagged up a full carbon wing paddle for $150 so the deals are out there. Nice to have a name on it but with a budget you do what you can. I paid $1400 for a 2 gen Think Uno Max elite in excellent condition. I'm like you, I paddle in flatwater. While the V7 and V8 would do you very well on flatwater you may outgrow them very quickly. Your height, weight, physical condition and athletic abilities will play a big part in making your decision.
You're going to hear opinions all over the map but you need to do what is best for you. Keep a list of all that's involved with owning a boat, not just paddling one.
Some places will ship used skis for around $300 so if you find a great deal consider the option. Contact Wesley at surfskiracing.org or Mark at Elite in Charleston. They can be trusted or we'll kick them off the forum. :-)

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by LakeMan. Reason: Misspelled

More
6 years 9 months ago #29116 by PharmGeek
Huge thanks everyone!

I have spoke to Mark - super nice - as a Nelo 510 for sale for right around 1k

But the drive is long and if i ship it then it will be same as new price for the v7 picking up local (couple hours drive).

I feel far more comfortable with the PE ski - not even based on lower cost but for use in some local rivers that would be sketchy as hell with composite really.

Im lurking in those sites you mentioned.

I'm finalizing some sale of inherited property as we speak that when finished in the coming year I'll have a nest egg to wait, lurk, and nab up a higher grade ski when it presents....I'll probably keep v7 for continued local river use and vacation and with family if/when I outgrow it and have funds to lurk.

So that is my thinking anyway :)

I have quickly discovered that there are many opinions - I have to figure out what I'll do ultimately

More
6 years 9 months ago #29117 by LakeMan
The V7 will sure beat the heck out of standing all day putting pills from a big bottle into a little one. And you'll stay just as dry.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29118 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
There is nothing wrong with a PE ski. My first departure from a Kestrel SOT was a used Cobra Eliminator. It was heavy compared to a composite ski, but still lighter than the usual PE SOT recreational boats. All in all, it was a pretty fast boat, but not good in open water. I always thought that it be a really great flatwater boat if it was in a composite build....

The Nelo should be a great boat. Good ergonomics with a sound platform to learn on. The Eliminator ergo's, well took some getting used to and made me appreciate the Think seating position. That said, that boat went through a lot and is still going (I sold it to my cycling friend). All in all, having something like the 510 is a good idea even with a higher end composite boat down the road. Good luck in your search.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Jef58.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29119 by PharmGeek
I may be somewhat rare, but as a pharmacist, I dont hardly ever touch pills haha....my wife on the other hand, she is in the trenches of retail pharmacy.....it may sound absurd, but that is one high stress job...I work in a clinic treating Veterans chronic health needs of various sorts...I much prefer my work.

Thanks...the cobra brand seems to spit out a few CL listings I have seen a couple times in the past year in passing....usually for a good price...

A few people have urged me to hold out, lurk for something in the composite in a mid-high layup, but frankly I think this will take time to find exactly what I want as my second boat...I dont want to have nothing and feel rushed in my search....so the PE boat will suffice. But others, including a highly respected local racer, told me to just go with the PE for now and move up later.

Im pretty darn psyched to get out and paddle...and we have planned a 4 day weekend in late august down in the gulf...may try to look up a person down there with experience and see if they want to join me for a paddle...you all know anyone around destin, organge beach, gulf shores area that would be open to meeting up?

• Jef58
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #29120 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
The Eliminator had some features I liked. There was a bailer in it, small day hatch, adjustable seat...with no back rest. I ended up making a better footplate and steering system more like a surfski than a flat water racer.

The 510/V7 will already have the typical fittings of the composite skis so there isn't much as a downside in owning either. Fit is important to me, being short I have to pay attention to bucket ergonomics. The Fenn XT I have does not suit me very well, while the Think fits like a glove, the XT has a long transition in the hump. Hence, I do not paddle the XT very much even though it is a nice boat. I believe the Nelo boats would be a good fit for me as well after seeing them...but never actually paddled one. That is probably the major consideration for boat selection for me, and something to really take into account when looking.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #29122 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
It is hard to go wrong with a V7 as your first ski. In many ways it makes more sense than a V8 for a lot of people. The durability makes it more versatile for those who paddle a mix of deep and shallow water and the speed is comparable.

It is easy to get spoiled by the weight of composite boats when carrying and transporting them. I feel like Superman when I grab my V10 GT and have gotten used to fingertipping it on and off the Vbars. When I grab a V7/V5 to carry to the launch or put on the car, kryptonite has attacked!

At 2015 USAC Nationals the water level was very, very low. I used a V7 with a kick up in the sea kayak division. It was interesting seeing the guys in V8's being very careful in picking their lines down the river and zigging and zagging to avoid shallows. I just barrelled straight ahead without worry. I believe it gained me some time and kept me competitive with a lot of boats costing 2-3 times as much. If they had a PE Division I would be a gold medalist! (There were only two of us)

More
6 years 9 months ago #29124 by sandysan
Replied by sandysan on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
1600 is a reasonable amount, at least it was for me. For that amount ( or slightly under) I got a nelo ocean ski ( used had to drive 1000 miles each way but it was worth it), an aliexpress wing paddle off amazon.com of all places ( cheaper than ebay), a new mocke racer pfd, a set of good boy vbars.

I know there are lots of different opinions here but I think if you live in a place where surfski are a rare get the best one you can afford. If you buy an intermediate boat ( and there are very good reasons one might do this)y and outgrow it you are essentially stuck with it and the Capitol you sunk into it.

It took me about 3 months to wrangle everything I needed with the boat being last. Once I had the boat, I was on the water that day.

Good luck, if the deal on the 510 falls through, let me know as I think there is a place I can hide if from my wife.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29125 by sandysan
1600 is a reasonable amount, at least it was for me. For that amount ( or slightly under) I got a nelo ocean ski ( used had to drive 1000 miles each way but it was worth it), an aliexpress wing paddle off amazon.com of all places ( cheaper than ebay), a new mocke racer pfd, a set of good boy vbars.

I know there are lots of different opinions here but I think if you live in a place where surfski are a rare get the best one you can afford. If you buy an intermediate boat ( and there are very good reasons one might do this)y and outgrow it you are essentially stuck with it and the Capitol you sunk into it.

It took me about 3 months to wrangle everything I needed with the boat being last. Once I had the boat, I was on the water that day.

Good luck, if the deal on the 510 falls through, let me know as I think there is a place I can hide if from my wife.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29126 by LakeMan
Been looking more into the V7 this morning and it looks very nice. Except for the heavy weight it should do you just fine.
Sandysan is correct. Selling surfskis in kayaking fishing and Nascar country may be a quite a long process. Maybe your wife would use it while you out-pace her by a Alabama mile.
Keep us updated on your quest.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29128 by sandysan
About the MR340, I am interested in it ( not this year but more about curiosity) and I was thinking of possibly looking into getting a rotomolded boat. I was contemplating going to the finish to see if there were people willing to part with their boats but I'm not sure is this is good form or not.

When I raced sprint boats at big regatta's there was often a people sitting on a chair with a sign saying " looking for X, cash on hand" but the mr340 might be a completely different environment.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #29129 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski

sandysan wrote: About the MR340, I am interested in it ( not this year but more about curiosity) and I was thinking of possibly looking into getting a rotomolded boat. I was contemplating going to the finish to see if there were people willing to part with their boats but I'm not sure is this is good form or not.

When I raced sprint boats at big regatta's there was often a people sitting on a chair with a sign saying " looking for X, cash on hand" but the mr340 might be a completely different environment.

Just post in the classifieds on rivermiles.com forum with a 'WTB your boat at the end of the 340' add. I have never done the race and dont know how much of a swap meet there is at the finish, but I know I have seen postings for "Boat for sale at finish line", so some people certainly do it.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29130 by PharmGeek
Thanks everyone....good points brought up.

Hmmm...has this amazon alien wing paddle been used much? basically for 350 bucks I snag the epic full carbon (25 oz), did not get the exact quote for the club carbon (27 oz) but suspect like 220 perhaps (no idea)....someone local told me to check out something like "RC3P" (I am citing that from memory), a Carolina company that makes carbon paddles, so full carbon for like 260.

I don't mind so much spending a good bit on a paddle if Ill just be happy with it for a long time...but I am on a budget...and I probably need to plan on tucking some funds away for gear for cool/cold weather, which I have none of right now.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29131 by LakeMan
You keep claiming to be on a budget, which I don't doubt, but you have no idea. My wife raises the kids and I work full time. I make so little that they don't take Federal or state taxes out of my check. I'm not joking. When I want something I sell some things I haven't used in a while. Everyone has things they can sell so if you see a boat or paddle you want go sell something. A guitar you no longer play, a chainsaw you had before moving to a treeless house etc. Keep the wife and kids though, they're Irreplaceable.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29132 by sandysan
I will leave it to others to debate whether one should buy knockoff paddles or not, but there are lots of sellers out there. There are tons of different models on alibaba but some you need to buy more than one and the turn around is pretty long. Then there is RC3P who "looks" like they rebrand paddles from there ( they don't manufacture any to the best of my knowledge). There was also a water ski company that sold paddles with their name on it, this could be the alien you mentioned.

I tried to lowball a guy on ebay something like 180 and he said no. I then ( for reasons I can't remember) searched amazon and found a Z&J " high performance lightweight carbon fiber paddle with gamma blade and carbon round shaft in aluminum adjustor". Price? 160 delivered in 5 days ( free shipping but no prime)I was super skeptical but it arrived in a gigantic box and the paddle was flawless and the bag it came in was great.

So there are deals out there. Will this be my last paddle? Probably not but if I was going to buy an expensive wing blade, I would definately compare it to this one.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29133 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
I beg to differ. There is only one problem I can think of with a plastic boat - they are heavy. After that it's all good :)
My RPC3 small wing is my favorite of the four paddles I own and love the price.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Fath2o.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29136 by PharmGeek
Well - everyone by definition are on a budget as funds are finite....even for a billionaire.

I grew up in welfare - I am not now and I am very lucky to be able to buy things I want over time on top of raising kids.

My budget likely may be far more liberal than others and austere compared to others :)

I have indeed taken to selling things but I have this obsession with buying always in a way that minimizes this - or so is my goal.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29137 by LakeMan
I used to have the corporate job with good money and the big house with lots of stuff. We've now sold 3/4 of our stuff, bought a small house and work for a small company with goals that are in line with mine. I'd never go back. Poor isn't that bad if you have no debt.

Did you see Mark's new site?
eliteoceansports.com/products/used-demo/
That Think Uno Max 3gen is close to the budget. I'm a little prejudice but it'd be a fantastic ski for flatwater. It's only a 7 hour drive and you can take in the sites of historic Charleston while you're at it. Wonderful place to visit for a blue city.

Latest Forum Topics