Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski

More
6 years 9 months ago #29157 by PharmGeek
Put a deposit down on the v7.

Part of me was tempted to wait and lurk for a something in a higher grade layup, but I just could not get past that I wanted something that could take some abuse on local rivers where I have more opportunity to train on.

In related news, a woman I work with lives on a small lake not far from my house...it is about a 2km loop...it only has access for private owners and their friends...it is close to my carpool meetup spot so that is promising....

I will also be down at the beach for a 4 day weekend end of August and you can bet ill get out and paddle some!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29158 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Noob 1st Wanna Be Surf Ski
Congrats PG. Whatever you get you'll love. Keep in mind, if a powerboat can cruise your local waters then you won't bottom out a ski. The V7 will be nice. When do you take ownership?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 9 months ago #29159 by PharmGeek
when I talk about some skinnier local rivers, this is not power boat territory...deep enough in "most" spots to not bottom out, but some bits (water level dependent) would have that risk....if I was talking about lakes only, I would have far less concerns for durability indeed yeah.

I was told about 1 week ago by a person from Kayak Trader that they were getting some in this week...so in theory perhaps ill pickup this weekend...that is my goal anyway :)

More
6 years 9 months ago #29160 by LakeMan
Then the 7 will work well for you. You should give it a paddle in Lake Lanier before drive back. It'll keep you from rushing home and getting a speeding ticket.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 9 months ago #29162 by PharmGeek
My brother is in the process of moving just north of ATL

Any suggestions on a launch location?

I'll have my kids (wife will be working) but may snag a sitter and go solo perhaps

More
6 years 9 months ago #29164 by LakeMan
Longwood Park is the closest place to Kayak Trader but to my knowledge you'll have to carry the ski a hundred yards (but I may he wrong). It's been a while since I've been there. The lake is enormous so anywhere you see a park you can put in there. Stay close to shore in case you go swimming and have issues getting back in. Be careful of the jetskis. They're evil.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29165 by PharmGeek
Thanks! I'm aware of some of the issues with kayaking at popular lakes like that lol

I was out paddling smith lake yesterday in my touring kayak - got my roll down better and better and I did my first stand up paddling standing in the cockpit :)

I think I'll do fine on this ski :)

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29171 by LakeMan
The V7 is a pretty wide ski so you should do fine but just in case don't leave your cell phone in your pocket.

Memorize this...

www.epickayaks.com/article/article/epic-technique-series

If I were you I'd set up a demo paddle with Kayak Trader. This may be a rare opportunity to paddle an elite ski. Try a V12 or 14. That way you'll have a good idea of what ski to get next.

I also recommend paddling gloves. I'm a button pusher so I don't have lumberjack-rough hands. The carbon paddles don't do well with my skin so gloves help a lot. Plus I look really cool. :-)

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by LakeMan.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29172 by PharmGeek
Wow - great videos! I'm sooo new to getting all the technique at this point....it will take some instruction and practice

More
6 years 9 months ago #29197 by LakeMan
PG, did you get a chance to pick up your V7 and give it a paddle? Did you try out any elite skis?

More
6 years 9 months ago #29198 by PharmGeek
Tomorrow I'm gonna get an update on where the new v7 is in delivery to the dealer - hope is that I can get over this week and I have requested to test paddle a couple other skis in the intermediate and elite nature...

Hopefully will have an update this week.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29199 by LakeMan
Well hurry up. I'm not getting any younger.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29200 by PharmGeek
"Patience is a virtue" mom always told me...I'm not a virtuous man it seems.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29205 by LakeMan
Well you do deal drugs for a living so patience is the least of your worries.

Glad to see you'll get to try a couple other skis. You'll have a lot of fun. Give us a review of the V7 and your impressions of the others you try out.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29213 by PharmGeek
Well - my kayak is there - but I cannot make it this week and will be out of town in NJ for a week - so tentative plan is picking it up on way back on Sunday 7/23. This is painful :)

Not sure I'll be able to demo other boats that day - but if not will find time to swing by and try some soon

More
6 years 9 months ago #29214 by LakeMan
I'm not sure what's worse, waiting another 13 days to get your ski or having to go to New Jersey.

Be brave.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29316 by PharmGeek
Well - picked V7 up - paddled it a whopping 20 min nearby at lake Lanier near the dealer location. Family was with me at tail end of a LONG road trip so I could only do a short paddle.

Stability: non issue - very stable. At first for a moment felt "different" but quickly settled in no prob.

The rudder steering was most odd to me as I never have used one and i found myself trying to engage my "leg drive" and flubbing the steering lol - it will take some practice - a LOT of practice I'm sure...looking forward to it

Did a few deep water re-entries - very easy for me.

The wing paddle (nabbed an epic small mid full carbon wing) was new to me - did fine with it but will take some getting used to as well.

Got it up to some speed and felt guuud :)

I'm excited.

Gonna line up some form of coaching within the year and I have planned soon a schedule of two times per week a 2 hour paddle to excercise and train.

Beach trip to Gulf of Mexico in 4 weeks - she will see saltwater soon!!!

More
6 years 9 months ago #29317 by PharmGeek
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #29318 by LakeMan
Congrats! Good to hear you enjoyed it. You'll be a pro in no time. Too bad you didn't have time to demo an elite ski. Would have loved to hear your opinion.

Is that overalls you're wearing? Your Alabama is showing. :-)

More
6 years 9 months ago #29320 by PharmGeek
Hahaha - no - I own no overalls :)

That would make a funny photo paddling a ski in just overalls.

I plan on getting back over there to paddle some others

I met a guy who lives 2 hours north of me and paddles with a group of folks with Elmore elite skis and I've been invited to come paddle with them and try their goodies - may find time for that in a few weeks.

Latest Forum Topics