2nd Gen Stellar SR vs 2nd Gen Epic V10 Sport

More
6 years 7 months ago #29431 by feeny
I haven't sat in a Stellar SR for some time - but if I recall correctly, there really wasn't much difference between all 3 boats. By this I mean that whatever the stability differences, I felt they'd all be sorted out quickly with just a few paddles.

Essentially, all 3 boats felt quite close to the same mark for me. I'd have probably been happy in any of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattRowl72

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29432 by mckengmsurfski
Dasher, you are making a mistake if you don't try the new Nelo 550 Ski before making your decision.
Our demo 550 ski is currently with Chris Chappell from Fast Paddler in the Boston Area and I suspect it would fit you well and you would find the speed to stability better than the other skis you're considering. So if you can, try and get together with Chris to give it a try.

Mark McKenzie
www.eliteoceansports.com

More
6 years 7 months ago #29434 by JohnK
Hi Mark,

Interesting comment on the 550. Should I understand that stability of the 550 is similar to the V10S and SR?
cheers
John

More
6 years 7 months ago #29435 by mckengmsurfski
John,
I have very little experience with the Stellar SR. Wesley knows it well and has paddled the 550, so maybe he can answer that part of it.
I have paddled the 550 side by side with the Evo II and Evo 3G with their respective owners in ocean conditions, and we all found the 550 more stable. Same with the V10 Sport 1G and 2G. It is an impressive all around intermediate ski.
Be sure and check out Wesley's first impressions: www.surfskiracing.org/2017/07/nelo-550-first-take/

More
6 years 7 months ago #29437 by JohnK
Thank you Mark,
It looks impressive. What is the difference between the 550 and the 550ML?
Purely a seat change or is the ski different in terms of volume/shape?

Cheers

More
6 years 7 months ago #29438 by mckengmsurfski
My understanding is that it is purely a seat change, but I've only tried the standard 550 at this point.
The standard 550 seat is very comfortable and should fit a wide range of paddlers, but for shorter paddlers the 550 ML sounds like a good option.
I've had paddlers up to 6'5" fit the 550, no problem.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29439 by agooding2
Will there eventually be an M, ML, and L version?

Any size, weight ranges for those?

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
6 years 7 months ago #29450 by Watto
Feeny

What did you paddle in Mauritius and how did it compare with other boats you've been in? Myself have SES Gen 1, SEI G2 and SR G2. Paddled a Swordfish (not S) in Mauritius.

• Dasher
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #29995 by Dasher
Well I bit the bullet and bought a used Epic V10 Sport in the ultra layup 2 weeks ago. This is the latest generation. I read many reviews and thought it was going to be a challenge for me coming from the Epic V7 to this. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had my wife video me on her phone. I took off in it like I was in the V7. This ski is extremely stable. I have already turned way better times with it than in the V7. I was 1.5 minutes faster for 3 miles. It handles very much like the V7. This is on flat water only. I am sure that in rougher conditions there is a difference. The primary stability is superb. It feels a lot like my V7. If anyone is looking to move up from the V8 or the V7 to the V10 Sport they will find that it a very easy transition. I did try to simulate a less stable ski with the V7 by folding up 2 beach towels and putting them in the seat. That was less stable than the V10 Sport. It handles great. The speed is great. The 27.5 lbs is great. I love it.

More
6 years 6 months ago #30000 by red_pepper
Enjoy your new V10 Sport! I had the opportunity to paddle the 2G V10 Sport 2 years ago and found it to be a very likable boat - lots of primary stability and good speed. My observations are similar to Newbflats in comparison between the V10S and the SR.

I was surprised by the number of people who seem to feel the 2G Stellar cockpits are large; I find them to be "right sized" in the 2nd Gen boats (1st gen were definitely large!) and pretty similar to Epic cockpits (which are quite comfortable but can get a bit tight for me in foot/leg room), but maybe it's because I have a cyclist build and I'm a bigger guy (195 lbs).

Side note for those concerned about the bailer efficiency in the Stellar boats: all the new skis are now available with deBrito retractable bailers.

On the comments about the differences between the SEI and the SR: the SEI is definitely faster, but still remarkably stable. If you go with the Advantage layup in the SEI the stability is very close to the stability of the SR in Excel. I never made friends with the 1st gen SEI, but the 2nd Gen is one of my favorite "all-around" boats to paddle (and the SR is a close second).

Latest Forum Topics