Think ACE vs Carbonology Boost for a n00b

More
6 years 8 months ago #29576 by ssjothun
Hi guys!

I've been in boats all my life, but now, at the age of 42, I tried my first kayak - and I am hooked ;)

The first few times, my wife and I borrowed two kayaks from our neighbor (but they were like paddling in a bath tub). We went to the local kayak store yesterday and tried 3 kayaks/skis each.

To summarize: Relatively flat water, occasional gusts of wind, some waves from ferries outside the dock.

I felt extremely comfortable in the Think Ace. The Carbonology Boost felt a bit nervous, nimble, and I didn't feel too cocky when the catamaran ferry blasted past...

My question is simply: This is my third time in a kayak - how long would it take to "grow into" the Carbonology Boost? Or should I play safe, get the Ace, and gain some more experience before attempting something sleeker?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29577 by [email protected]

My question is simply: This is my third time in a kayak - how long would it take to "grow into" the Carbonology Boost? Or should I play safe, get the Ace, and gain some more experience before attempting something sleeker?

In my opinion: "stability before ability", you'll have more fun, sooner, in the more stable boat.

It also depends how frequently you're going to paddle: if you only go once a week, you're not going to progress very quickly; if you paddle every day, you'll develop your balance more quickly.

Finally, speak to the store about the second hand market in your area. If it's thriving then, again, go for the more stable boat, knowing you'll get rid of it readily in six months or a year. If no-one ever buys second hand boats, then that's a factor to consider.

But in general I'd go for the more stable boat, have fun, get used to it and move up when you're ready.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
6 years 8 months ago #29578 by ssjothun
Thanks Rob - That's my initial thought as well.

However...there were a few times when I was really heeling over in the Boost, and thinking back, it didn't feel like I was even close to capsizing. It feels as if a lot of the lack of stability is in my head, not the hull...which makes me reconsider...sigh....

More
6 years 8 months ago #29579 by BrettD
I have had a Big Eze/Ace since release as my first ski. I can strongly recommend it or similar stable skis like the epic v8 or Fenn bluefin. Stability lets you work on technique and gives the confidence to get out into bigger conditions and progress. I also have a v10 sport but am really only faster on it in pretty benign conditions.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29580 by Canario
I'm 53 years old, 1.85 and 95 Kgrs. No previous sailing experience. 22 months ago I started on Carbonology Sport Cruze. After 4 months I switched to a Boost and 4 months ago I changed again, this time to a Fenn Swordfish. I also recommend you to start with the Ace, but if you paddle 2-3 times a week, you will be able to go to a Boost in less than 6 months. That is very common and that's is why in our Club we have some school- entry level skis you don't have to buy as you will use them a few months. Then the Boost, or the new Think Zen, are skis that many people keeps for life, specially for those really big conditions days.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29581 by ssjothun
I was looking at the Cruze, but never tried it. Seems similar to Ace, but at a much lower price. Any idea abut the similarities/differences?

More
6 years 8 months ago #29583 by Canario
I'm not by any means an expert, but have paddled the Fenn Bluefin, the Epic V8 and the Carbonology Cruze. Not the Think Ace. I think, and this is something that here in Gran Canaria we all think, there are no really differences when paddling first level skis. These are boats for schools, to learn the very basics and any of then will do. We made our choice based on the price and never regretted it. With all of them, if you take the issue seriously, after some months you will be wanting something faster.

Latest Forum Topics