Boat blows away whilst kitting up

• MK
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #30850 by MK
Recently, as I've been chasing some more lively weather, my boat has blown away a couple of times.

First time I upgraded the stands, but the wind tends to come around a corner or change direction at just the wrong time.

Normally I am over at the car putting the PFD etc on, after carefully checking the wind direction and that the boat is firmly in the stands in the same direction.

I am now thinking of putting on the ground on a 6m yoga mat, solid foam blocks, or sand bags, as the momentum to roll comes from the small distance to the ground as the stands topple...

www.kayakshopaustralia.com.au/ruk-sport-...torage-trestles-low/

Any comments PLS?
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by MK. Reason: Clarification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30852 by PSwitzer
Foam blocks? Yoga mats? What the hell, man!

1. Park the car.

2. Put all your stuff on while the boat is still strapped to the roof.

3. Hold paddle in one hand. This hand holds the boat down on the rack while you:

4. Remove the downwind, then upwind strap, gather both straps in hand, toss them through open door, shut door.

6. Carry boat to water and go. If you need to fuss around with drink bladders, gps, or other accoutrements, just bungee them to the boat or stuff in your pants then sort it all out when you flop the boat into knee deep water.

The other option is, you do rock scissors paper to see who gets to hold the boats down on the beach while the second guy goes back to the car for all the kit.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30857 by Fath2o
My ski typically goes straight from the roof rack to water and vice versa. My roof of my van is rusted out from salt water and don't need to add sand to the mix. Only the paddle touches the ground. You have to be careful where you place your paddle so it doesn't blow away while transporting or securing your ski. For me it helps tremendously to have my vehicle parked parallel to the wind. I slide my ski onto the racks back to front and vise versa. My tie downs, good old ROPE, stay tied to roof racks. Good luck.

• MK
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #30863 by MK
Replied by MK on topic Boat blows away whilst kitting up
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make some comments!

I always paddle solo unless racing, I need to lock the marina shed, and I wash and oil the boat before storage/transport.

So what I've set up to try next weekend is a couple of gazebo sandbags, with cam buckle straps through the Velcro side attachments.

20kg, 40cm long, 20cm diameter.

Will attach a pic if it works out :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #30869 by tve
How do you oil the boat? What oil?

• MK
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #30870 by MK
The stainless steel - hinges on foot pedals, rudder cables and rudder shaft.

Also the paddle lever lock.

www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx4-lubricant/

• MK
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #30884 by MK
blow wind blow... B)
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics