Nelo 550 beginner question

More
6 years 5 days ago #31324 by Hardy
I've got a new Nelo 550, it's my first surfski. Overall I'm very happy with the boat, it handles well and is fun to ride. Still there's one thing that bothers me: After each ride I find about 1cm of water in the rudder compartment. The top lid seems to seal well, so I guess water comes in through the rudder shaft and drops into the compartment when the boat is upside down after a capsize (which still happens to me every now and then ,-))
My question: Is there a possibility that the water gets from the compartment into the hull through the holes of the rudder lines - or are these things further sealed and protected from inside? So far I haven't noticed anything but of course I can't see what's going on inside....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 days ago #31325 by [email protected]

Is there a possibility that the water gets from the compartment into the hull through the holes of the rudder lines - or are these things further sealed and protected from inside?

They are sealed and there's no way water should get in through the rudder cable channels at either end.

It's not so relevant on skis that have dyneema all the way from rudder to pedal, but on most of my boats it's been steel cable and long ago I developed the habit of leaving the cover off the rudder box so that a) I can rinse that area off with fresh water and b) I can see if there are any corrosion issues.

But no, there's no issue from that little bit water getting into the rudder box area - but if it bothers you, just leave the cover off.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics