Leak around rudder shaft - How to Fix?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #31998 by MCImes
Hi Guys,
I think I developed a leak around my rudder shaft. Normally my boat is dry after a paddle but last night I had a few oz of water come out. After a quick inspection I see a small circle crack around the rudder. Just a hairline crack, but its the only spot I can see that water may be coming in. (Im anal and want to fix this even if its not a ton of water)

How do you fox this? I am proficient with carbon and epoxy, but there is very little clearance between the rudder and the boat; not enough to even build up 1 layer of carbon.

There is no real damage to the area, just the hairline crack going all the way around the rudder shaft, about 10mm larger in diameter than the shaft itself.

I'll post a picture of what Im talking about tonight, but chime in with your infinite wisdom if there's a good way to fix it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31999 by kwolfe
First thing you might want to do witch would be a really easy way to validate is to take off the rudder, place a piece of packing tape over the hole and cut a small hole in the middle for the rudder to go through.

Take it for a paddle and see if you get water again. If not, there's you problem. As far as a fix goes. If it's a small hairline crack, superglue is a quick and easy way. works well too.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32001 by Ranga
Easiest way to find a leak around the rudder post is to remove rudder, block the top hole with your finger and suck on the other side with your mouth. You will know in seconds if that is the culprit.
To repair is just as easy, because generally there is very little structurally wrong, just a small leak. I usually get a trimming knife and lightly cut around the outside of the post, 1-2mm wide and about the same deep V shaped just to get a round dam around the post. Fill the cavity you have scored out with a suitable epoxy, proper high quality stuff not you cheap quick set rubbish, it has to be very runny, it will wick into whatever small hairline crack that is there, a bit of heat will help the resin get a bit runnier, use a hair dryer. Once you are satisfied that enough has wicked in just stick a piece of plastic packing tape over the whole repair and turn the ski upright.
I a few hours remove the tape and you are done. Should not need any more finishing. I do it all the time.

Latest Forum Topics