Got new/used Ski SES 2G

More
5 years 8 months ago #32207 by PharmGeek
Well - sale went through a couple weeks ago for my stellar SES 2G excel layup
My previous first ski was a v7 - this was a big leap
My first 10 minutes on it was with a bunch of onlookers - I was so tight and nervous and stability was horrific.

Then my first “real” session this week on Monday I felt waaaaay better - I knew my issue was nerves and rigidity because I could easily re-enter the kayak in deep water and sit still and be fine - but nervous paddling led to instability

Anyway Monday I was waaaay better - fell in a few times when trying some higher cadence - but just in doing slow and steady paddling on Monday I averaged 4.5 mph over 2.5 miles (not that speed matters yet)

Then yesterday I got out and just did drills, mixed with slow and steady and some bursts of higher cadence every 10 min or so. Didn’t fall in once and felt rock solid - brace stroke good on both sides and two bobbles caught with a quick brace no biggie - avg speed yesterday over 2.2 miles was 5.0 mph avg - which is actually nuts as it rivals my best avg speed paddling my v7 at full effort...I have not tried to paddle the SES yet keeping a higher cadence -....

The numbers don’t matter for now I think - gonna spend a few weeks just making sure my technique is good as I move up in cadence in this boat - but after only a few hours of paddling it I’m feeling extremely happy

After the first 10 min I felt like I made a huge mistake lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: 10155784108127358@facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32208 by PharmGeek
Replied by PharmGeek on topic Got new/used Ski SES 2G
Also - I know I should not yet look at numbers - my max speed clocked in my v7 was like 7.5 - I’m not anhorribly strong person and I likely could do way better but maintaining 6.5mph or higher felt impossibly for me

I kept looking down while paddling yesterday and seeing my gps saying 6.3 or 6.5mph - and my top clocked speed was 10.1mph yesterday!!! It was certainly while I was doing a sprint and I doubt o held that speed long but still!!

Ok - I’m like a kid at Christmas this week - most importantly - I’m having fun!!

I’m all flat water land locked so - it’s a good fit

I’ll be interested to see how I can paddle this over time in some chop

More
5 years 8 months ago #32209 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Got new/used Ski SES 2G
Congrats on the new ski. Love the color.
We've all (or maybe most) have felt like we made a big mistake with a thin ski but with time we make it work. You're doing well - stroke looks good.
It sure is a lot easier to paddle when no one is watching.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Latest Forum Topics