V12 replacement?

More
5 years 7 months ago #32414 by [email protected]
So here is my dilemma.
I lost my V12 G1 off the roof in the wind and snapped the tail off. No immediate concern as I got some insurance money (not enough for a new Epic, which are a terrible price here in NZ) and I have a V10S which I paddle on big days.
So looking for a lightweight fast flat/medium water boat as a replacement. I could get a 2nd hand V12 but I struggled a bit with stability on some days, so I'm thinking of maybe a THink Ion 2G or 3G. Other options are the DD3 Albatross or the Carbonology Flash.
Any advice would be appreciated prior to travelling to test drive.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32441 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic V12 replacement?
If you already have a v10Sport and v12 can be too tippy at times, I assume you are looking for skis between those 2. I would think ion may be a touch more stable than v12, but not much. SEL might also be a tad more stable than v12. Evo, V10, swordfish s, SEI fit squarely between v12 and v10Sport. I suppose v11 does, too, but I think it is really more for downwind.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 7 months ago #32442 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 replacement?
Stability wise the earlier Ions are not much different than a v12, and share both the V12’s twitchy lack of primary stability and substantial secondary stability. Basically they are like an uno max with more secondary stability and tons of rocker. If you want a more stable boat in the Think line then look at the Ion 3G or one of the evos.

Stability and speed wise if you want to stay in the epic line up the v10 2G or 3G fit between the v12 and v10sport. Note that the v10 2G and 3G are very different boats in terms of bucket fit and maneuverability on the waves, with the new model being much better in both areas. If you have wide hips or do a lot of flat water the V10 2G might be a better boat. If you want to downwind the 3G is way better.

The v11 has a confusing name and does not really fit between the v10s and the v12. It is a skinny high rocker elite boat and is tippier if anything than the v12 G1.

Stellar SEL is a good small to medium conditions ski with good speed and more stability than the v12. As with all the stellars, the new generation has much better buckets.

I have no experience with DD3 or Carbonology.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 7 months ago #32446 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic V12 replacement?

zachhandler wrote: Stability wise the earlier Ions are not much different than a v12, and share both the V12’s twitchy lack of primary stability and substantial secondary stability. Basically they are like an uno max with more secondary stability and tons of rocker. If you want a more stable boat in the Think line then look at the Ion 3G or one of the evos.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. An Ion is a definitely more stable than an Uno Max in my experience, including the earlier model.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32448 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic V12 replacement?
Sean Rice is the one who told me that the Ion’s primary stability was identical to the uno max, but that it has lots of secondary stability. That was back when the ion first came out, 2012 or so. I think that the G3 ion would fit the OP’s needs better than the older generations.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 7 months ago #32449 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic V12 replacement?
Try the v10 g3.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32470 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic V12 replacement?
Thanks for the advice so far,
I'm 180cm x 88kg with no hips, my pants keep falling down, so even had padding in the side of my V12 bucket.
The V10 sounds like a good option but obviously 2nd hand G3 models are pretty rare, will put it on my test drive list.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32525 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic V12 replacement?
I think V10 g3 is not a huge improvement over g2, so I would look for used g2 V10 and not worry about finding a used g3 anytime soon. the g2 was a major improvement over g1.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 6 months ago #32529 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic V12 replacement?
I find the g3 v10 to be different to the g2 v10. I never paddled a g1 v10, so I can't comment on the relative difference g3 vs g1 or g2 vs g1.

The g3 has more rocker, surfs better -- and I actually find it more stable than the g2.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32540 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic V12 replacement?
I had a black nose gen 2 v10. It was the heaviest boat I've ever owned. Good on the flat but crap on everything else. The Flash is a good all-round boat, difficult remount. The original Ion had no primary stability. Sat in one, went for a paddle and compared to what I was paddling didn't enjoy the twitchiness.
I took an original Fenn elite out and these are a lot more stable than you would think. In mild chop they are pretty good. Better than the v10. I found it really hard to remount. The Elite S is even more stable. I was surprised by the primary stability in the S. There's a reason these are probably the best boats ever made. Downwind the Elite and the Elite S surf like nothing else. The old carbon Elites are cheap as chips. Much better boat than the v12.
Stellar SEL is a good all round boat. Gen 1 not as pretty or comfortable as the gen 2, but more stable.
Carbonology Vault is not a bad boat. No real vices. Surfs well. Relatively easy to remount.

Latest Forum Topics