Absolute fastest flat water ski?

More
5 years 8 months ago #32429 by davgdavg
So, I´ve moved from Hawaii, and now have only a smallish and very large lake nearby. Balance isn't really an issue, but I don't want to be in a K1 one km from shore and have a motor boat knock me out, so surfski it must be.

I'm thinking either a Nelo 560 or a V14, but maybe there is something else out there? I'm 6'1/210lbs (about 93kgs?) so something for bigger guys needed.

Weight and size make the 560 more appealing if it an the v14 are equals, but I'm open to anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32430 by Dicko
Where to start. Uno max. The earlier the better I reckon.
Fenn Glide.
Carbonology Flash.
V14.
Red 7 surf 70 pro. My favourite, because it's just so nice to sit in. Easy to remount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
5 years 7 months ago #32431 by Hacker Mike
Knysna Racing Mc Gregor Classic must be up there with the fastest.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32433 by ccchappell
Hi davgdavg,
I'm pretty much your identical size, 6'3", 210. Very similar situation, I love paddling my Cinco XXXL on river and lake, but on big days or days I'm tired I paddle my 560 or V14. For me, full out sprint they are about the same top end speed. FYI, Cinco feels more stable to me then my earlier Vanquish III

My View for flatwater...for what its worth :)

V14 advantages: Better for me in shallow water then 560 due to length...talking less then 5 ft. 560 starts to feel a little "suckwater-ish" like K1 when in shallow stuff mostly due to my weight from what I've been told. Also V14 has a more linear speed curve as you increase effort. So I can go faster at say 70% effort then 560 at same effort. Difference goes away at about 90% for me. 560 still fast at lower effort, just a bit more work then V14

560 Advantages: Awesome acceleration, Cinco like. My flat water paddling partner is an excellent K1 paddler, and gauging the V14 vs 560 when doing intervals together, the 560 can accelerate better. V14 not bad, just 560 faster. While ergonomics are excellent on both, I'd give nod to 560 for paddling position, especially if used to K1. Also love the shorter hull length both on and off the water. 560 slightly more maneuverable then V14 (much more noticeable as water gets bigger)

As the water gets bigger, I'm definitely more stable in the 560, just have to make sure I have the correct rudder ( I use DK 3" 40 degree on both in flat, which works great for any weeds, leaves, etc...then go to 4 , 5 or 7 inch). 560 is a blast in downwind 2-4 ft waves for me, but go to my 550 when gets bigger or if confused... Don't take V14 to ocean anymore :)

I can't fit in the Thinks or Fenns due to bucket width, but 560 and V14 faster then any other Epics, Huki or Stellars I've owned/paddled in flatwater.

Hope this helps. Oh, key is having a good Braca Paddle...of course since I'm the US Braca Distributor :)
Chris
www.fastpaddler.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
5 years 7 months ago #32438 by davgdavg

ccchappell wrote: Hi davgdavg,
I'm pretty much your identical size, 6'3", 210. Very similar situation, I love paddling my Cinco XXXL on river and lake, but on big days or days I'm tired I paddle my 560 or V14. For me, full out sprint they are about the same top end speed. FYI, Cinco feels more stable to me then my earlier Vanquish III

My View for flatwater...for what its worth :)

V14 advantages: Better for me in shallow water then 560 due to length...talking less then 5 ft. 560 starts to feel a little "suckwater-ish" like K1 when in shallow stuff mostly due to my weight from what I've been told. Also V14 has a more linear speed curve as you increase effort. So I can go faster at say 70% effort then 560 at same effort. Difference goes away at about 90% for me. 560 still fast at lower effort, just a bit more work then V14

560 Advantages: Awesome acceleration, Cinco like. My flat water paddling partner is an excellent K1 paddler, and gauging the V14 vs 560 when doing intervals together, the 560 can accelerate better. V14 not bad, just 560 faster. While ergonomics are excellent on both, I'd give nod to 560 for paddling position, especially if used to K1. Also love the shorter hull length both on and off the water. 560 slightly more maneuverable then V14 (much more noticeable as water gets bigger)

As the water gets bigger, I'm definitely more stable in the 560, just have to make sure I have the correct rudder ( I use DK 3" 40 degree on both in flat, which works great for any weeds, leaves, etc...then go to 4 , 5 or 7 inch). 560 is a blast in downwind 2-4 ft waves for me, but go to my 550 when gets bigger or if confused... Don't take V14 to ocean anymore :)

I can't fit in the Thinks or Fenns due to bucket width, but 560 and V14 faster then any other Epics, Huki or Stellars I've owned/paddled in flatwater.

Hope this helps. Oh, key is having a good Braca Paddle...of course since I'm the US Braca Distributor :)
Chris
www.fastpaddler.com

Awesome, thanks! This was exactly the kind of opinion I was hoping for.

It sounds like it will come down to comfort between the 560 and V14. (Though I'm curious as to the older model Nelos that were too tippy in the ocean for almost everyone, but might be good for a lake.)

More
5 years 7 months ago #32439 by davgdavg

Hacker Mike wrote: Knysna Racing Mc Gregor Classic must be up there with the fastest.

From the specs these are just too small for a guy of my size. :(

More
5 years 7 months ago #32440 by davgdavg

Dicko wrote: Where to start. Uno max. The earlier the better I reckon.
Fenn Glide.
Carbonology Flash.
V14.
Red 7 surf 70 pro. My favourite, because it's just so nice to sit in. Easy to remount.

Yes, the Red7 has the most comfortable bucket ever. Too bad they are just too heavy. Such flat water speed and glide too. I would hope for something a little skinnier/quicker for flat water since I used mine in big Hawaiian conditions though. Some people say they are super stable, others say its super tippy...hard for me to tell where it compares to a V14 or 560 for example since I haven't paddled either.

The Fenn Glide doesn't fit my butt :(

Carbonology seem to be made for smaller paddlers :(

V14 looks good, got to get my butt in one though :)

More
5 years 7 months ago #32443 by zachhandler
I find the v14 ergonomics to be better than the 560. To me the 560 seat felt lower and in fact I had to shorten my paddle when using it because I was sitting so low.

If you just want fast on flat water you could trade you firstborn child for a van dusen mohican. There is also the carbonology feather SOT K1. The mcgregor classic might be as fast as anything out there. And yes, the old 560 has an enormous speed to stability ratio.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics