Some difficult decisions about a new ski

More
5 years 2 days ago #34006 by paddlepop
and now for something completely different....have you thought about the Vadji 2 piece.  Pete
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #34008 by Fath2o
"I took a team of 4 across the strong tidal waters of the English Channel at it's the widest point. Non-stop for 80 miles. The average age of the paddlers was 50. Oldest was 61."

Very impressive, good job!
Last edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Fath2o.

• 996023127265225@facebook
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #34043 by 996023127265225@facebook
Replied by 996023127265225@facebook on topic Some difficult decisions about a new ski
Thanks for your support. I finaly got a lovely grey white S18S G2 that will be here next week!
More time on the water, less head scratching about a new ski ;D
Thanks again, great community!

Cheers

More
4 years 11 months ago #34045 by SpaceSputnik
Congratulations!
Exciting, isn't it? :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #34047 by mcbit

996023127265225@facebook wrote: Thanks for your support. I finaly got a lovely grey white S18S G2 that will be here next week!
More time on the water, less head scratching about a new ski ;D
Thanks again, great community!

Cheers

The S18S is a ski that I’m sure you’ll enjoy and it covers the touring aspects too.

More
4 years 11 months ago #34048 by zachhandler
S18S G2 is a great ski. A little more tippy but also a little quicker than a v8. Accelerates well. Surfs very well. This is in contrast to the first gen s18s which was a bit of a pig and had a bucket designed to carry a small family. If you are in waves with the S18S make sure that the oval hatch is on “square”. If it is not oriented quite right it can leak. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #34090 by 996023127265225@facebook
Replied by 996023127265225@facebook on topic Some difficult decisions about a new ski
Last but not least some pics ;D Just need another cradle for the V7 not very safe tied down on the bars with pipe isolation (just for a verry short ride)

Thanks again @all 

Cheers Justus
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #34703 by Selkie
How are you getting on with the Stellar 18s?

I spent some time considering this ski for long distance touring. The UK dealer was kind enough to let me try one for a week. There was much I liked about it and I had to decide on whether to replace my fleet of V8s and V6s with 18s and 16s. 

The clincher for me and taking out touring groups was that the bucket had harder edges and this made it less comfortable for sitting in for half or full day touring compared to the V8 & V6. They are well made and there is a lot to like about them. I did feel the 18s was perhaps very slightly quicker than the V8 on flat water but also slightly less stable. Since we use our fleet of skis for touring a rugged coast with caves and inlets etc with potential for overnight camping and wildlife photography stability is at rest etc is important. 

I always used my converted (hatched V8) whilst others I take touring use V6's. This is the first season I decided to use a V6 instead. Mainly for the ability to sit at rest and photograph wildlife with a longer lens or zoom. Once my ego got past wanting a longer ski, I must say that the V6 is an awesome and very capable touring ski. 

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

• Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #34705 by 996023127265225@facebook
Hi Selkie, I am getting along with it very well but had to undergo a few adjustments. I can only compare it to my V7 and I found the bucket in the V7 to be steeper in the back so I had a better fit in the V7. I got the Stellar back support thing and since then it is so comfortable but also keeps my lower back more upright for better posture. I had my problems with the steering pedals because they touched the hull but I cut them down and selaed them with epoxy.  I still have problems with them because of the steering cable sticking out too much, so it is uncomfotable with bare foot on longer tours. Maybe I have to glue some foam on ;) I can`t compare them speed wise but it is obviously lighter then the V7 so I like the enhanced acceleration. When I am out in the river I found it to be a bit less stable (but could also be a weight thing) but on the flat water I can`t find no difference at all. The compartments are amazing. I had camping gear for me and my girlfriend in there (more on the glamping side with a double air mattress and a tent that I would definitly not call "ultralight" ;D ). 

I changed the rudder for the shortest one, it is okay for flat waters but a bit chllanging in moving waters but saves me from attacking underwater greens. The rudder fit was horrible, but a bit of grinding got it done. I would much prefer the V6 steering system with the retractable rudder.

So at the end I am pretty happy with the Stellar but the V6 seems to be even as good for touring purposes. And maybe even better to manuver because it is shorter.

In August I will be lake touring for 2Weeks+ (the first greater tour) I can report back afterwards.

Cheers Justus

Latest Forum Topics